Keep track of your year, yard, and favorite birding patch lists in 2011 using eBird

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4 11:05 AM
      Birders

      California continues to be the most active state in the country for eBird
      participation. As David Bell recently pointed out, it's a great tool for
      keeping track of your year lists, and for finding out about what birds are
      being seen around the state. We're actively developing new alerts that will
      help county listers find out about birds the 'need' that are being reported
      in a county.

      We've just launched two new tools designed to promote healthy competition:
      Yard and Patch listing. These tools allow you to create and register your
      'Yard' or favorite birding 'Patch', and then see how your bird lists compare
      with others at the county, state, and even country level. It's fun to
      challenge your friends to a yard list competition, and see how it plays out
      over the year. I know it gets me out birding at least once a day in the
      yard, and I'm often surprised at what I can turn up when just looking
      locally for a few minutes. In any case, thanks for all the eBird
      participation in 2010, and I hope to see more people join the flock in 2011.

      Check out the latest patch results here:

      http://ebird.org/ebird/site/patch?locInfo.regionType=subnational1&locInfo.regionCode=US-CA

      Thanks

      Brian

      --