Birding SoCal the past week

  • naturestoc
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2010
      Hi All.

      I spent the past few days down in SoCal birding. I was able to dodge the weather and come up with a few "yes's" and a few "no's"!

      The no's were,
      NO Common Grackle at Earvin Johnson park, Compton on Monday the 27th. I did find a really cool looking leucistic Am. Coot though!
      No BT-blue warbler for me on the 28th or the 30th . I understand that this bird (Pt. Loma area) was seen on the 30th though, after I left!
      No Lesser BB Gull at the Salton Sea on the 29th.
      No Am. Oystercatchers at Pt. Loma (my 6th failed try for these guys).

      The "yes's" were,
      YES, Thick-billed Kingbird on the 27th and 28th in the currently posted location (south Chula Vista).
      YES, Winter Wren in the 28th at the previously posted location in Pt. Loma. No photo of this guy!
      YES, Broad-billed Hummingbird on the 28th in the NW euc tree outside the fence at Sunnyslope park, Nestor.
      YES, BT-Green Warbler on the 29th near the cottonwood tree at the previously posted spot in Brawley.
      YES, YES, Le Conte's Sparrow on the 29th in the previously posted location south of Niland. A tough one!
      YES, Hepatic Tanager on the 30th in the parking lot of the apt complex on 4th st in Imperial Beach.
      YES, the Male American Redstart on the 30th at Viewpoint Park in Encinitas.

      And YES, YES, home on the 31th, WHEY! I have posted photos of the above birds at the link below.

      http://naturestoc.smugmug.com/Birds/Calbirding-2010-big-bird-photo/10973419_nnFku

      The biggest YES is that my attempt at a "big bird photo year" IS OVER!!! TG!!! I have ended up with a total of 386 (see the link above). Hard work!! NEVER AGAIN!!

      Happy New Year to all! dan

      Dan Brown,
      Sacramento,
      www.naturestoc.smugmug.com