Brown Shrike update (Humboldt)

  • Ken Burton
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2010
      The BROWN SHRIKE continues at the Vista Point ponds in McKinleyville.
      It appeared briefly between showers just after noon and was seen by
      others in the morning. Park at the Vista Point on southbound 101 south
      of Clam Beach, hop the fence, walk north on the trail to the bottom of
      the hill, go left through the gate down another trail to its end below
      the bluffs near the south end of the north pond, and scan south and
      southwest for the bird.

      Ken Burton
      Arcata
    • Ken Burton
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2010
        Chris Hiatt of Madera asked me to post that he, Bob Bingham, and several
        others saw the shrike "again today from around 10 to 1 pm farther south
        of where the trail ends on the south side of the north pond. It was
        working the area west of where the burned pallet pile was or the black
        drainage pipe and rocks are."

        Ken Burton
        Arcata
      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 25, 2011
          This afternoon the BROWN SHRIKE was hanging out along the southeast
          shoreline of the south pond at McKinleyville's Vista Point ponds. This
          is a long walk from Vista Point and it might now make more sense to
          approach from Murray Road as long as the bird is in this new area,
          although that would be a bit of a trek, too. Maybe the best approach is
          simply to buy one of the houses above the pond and view the shrike from
          the comfort of your deck!

          Ken Burton
          Arcata
        • Ken Burton
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2011
            This morning I was able to spot the BROWN SHRIKE from the top of the
            bluff off Letz Avenue. It was actually pretty easy - certainly a lot
            less work than hiking out, and with zero chance of disturbing the bird.
            But I probably got lucky.

            Ken Burton
            Arcata