Bean Goose Update

  • borodayko2000
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 15, 2010
      Greetings,

      Although some people found the Bean-Goose earlier in the day, Tuesday, I did not find it until about 3:00PM (even though I was there since 6:30AM) when it and it's 3 buddies flew out of a field obscurred by tumbleweeds and mesquite at the south edge of the refuge and east of Vendel Road. They landed in some high vegetation where only the heads were sometimes visible. They took off from there and flew farther south staying east of Vendel Road and landed in a green agricultural field with very low veegitation. There is a hay bale stack next to Vendel Road near the northwest corner of said field. They were towards the southeast portion of the field so a spotting scope was esential to see them. Several people stopped and viewed the bird. I left them at sunset in that field. I returned this morning, Wednesday, and they were still at the same location that I put them to bed Tuesday. I left at 8:00AM after pointing out the geese to some people that had just shown up. I can't believe I almost got skunked.

      Regards, Al Borodayko
      Cypress, CA
    • borodayko2000
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 23, 2010
        Greetings,

        As a follow-up to my Bean-Goose adventure (see below), I have posted a photo of it in the Waterfowl folder and it can also be viewed temporarily in the new photos folder. I shoot slides so it took a week to get the slides back (originally photographed 15 Dec) and then I had it scanned. The photo shows a good comparison with its buddy White-fronted Goose.

        Enjoy, Al Borodayko
        Cypress, CA