RFI Bakersfield Rose ringed Parakeets

  • Thor
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
      Hi California birders: I have recently read on the web that Bakersfield has the largest population of Rose ringed Parakeets in North America. I am well aware that this is an exotic bird, and not countable on any state, or ABA lists. However, I always enjoy seeing new birds, and, as I will be passing through this area, in January, I would like to have an opportunity to see them.
      Does anyone have any up-to-date information on reliable spots/roosts where they can be seen?
      Thanks for any information. Thor

      Thor Manson
      Oliver, British Columbia, Canada.
    • Bob Barnes
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
        Thor, et. al.:

        Hart Memorial Park along the Kern River on the outskirts of Bakersfield.
        <http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/hart.asp>http://www.co.kern.ca.us/parks/hart.asp
        for directions.

        Hart Park is a 370-acre unit of 1012-acre Kern River County Park.

        Rose-ringed Parakeets are most easily heard and
        seen in the area between the main lake in the
        park and the river. They seem to particularly
        favor the sycamores in the park. I always find
        them most easily at the northeast corner of the
        main lake at the junction of Lake and Levee
        (interior park roads). However, you can pretty
        much hear them from anywhere in the park then go find them.

        NOTE: It is remarkable how such a bright,
        fair-sized, colorful parakeet can blend in with
        its surroundings. Since your visit will take
        place in January, many of the trees will be
        leafless, making observation perhaps easier for
        you than in spring, summer, and fall.

        For more on Bakersfield's Rose-ringed Parakeets
        visit Nature Ali's Rose-ringed Parakeets of Bakersfield web page:
        www.natureali.org/roserings.htm

        Bob Banes, Ridgecrest, Kern County, California