Wintering immature Broad-winged Hawk

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      There is a wintering immature Broad-winged Hawk in the Sepulveda Basin of Los Angeles County. Thanks to Tom Benson who refound the bird this morning, we were able to get some nice images while the bird sat in the trees about the walking path.

      http://tinyurl.com/2dumhz5

      Here are directions from Chuck Almdale:

      It always stayed in the field NE of the Woodley-Burbank intersection, between about 50 yds East of Woodley, the trees bordering Haskell Creek, and 50-200 yds North of Burbank. It never got more than about 20 feet above the ground, much of the time it was perched below eye level on bush-snags.

      To find it, I suggest:
      Park on east side of Woodley about 100 yds north of Burbank. Scan around the bushes and trees which are scattered across the field between you and the far line of trees bordering Haskell Creek to the east. You may well see the bird from the road, as you are elevated about 6 ft. higher than the field. If you don't see it, go thru one of the "gates" in the fence to the crushed rock path.
      Take the path around to the right (towards Burbank Blvd.), keeping an eye on all the bushes & low trees, looking for it's white (with spots) breast. Look also for white "eyebrow", yellowish cere, and bright yellow feet. Also amber eye, dark moustachials, mottling on the back, small (for a buteo) "compact" size. The bird was not bothered by a jogger who passed directly underneath it, but it
      seemed at first uncomfortable with our staring at it, and moved several times until it became accustomed to our presence.

      Douglas Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...