Hairy Woodpecker with yellow outer tail feathers.

  • Ron LeValley
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 2010
      Hairy Woodpecker -- This is a request for information! Almost a year ago I
      sent out a picture of a Hairy Woodpecker with yellow outer tail feathers
      taken in the southern portion of Russian Gulch State Park just north of
      Mendocino.

      http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?id=1603
      <http://levalleyphoto.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?id=1603%3Cbr/%3E>

      I had never seen one before and there is no mention in the literature of
      this happening. Of course I passed it off as an aberrant individual. But
      what to my surprise when this bird showed up at our feeder on the Little
      River Headlands just south of Mendocino showing the same characteristics!

      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/viewphoto.php?id=2288

      I mentioned this to a number of birding friends including Jon Dunn and Paul
      Bannick (author of The Owl and the Woodpecker) at the Central Valley Birding
      Symposium last month, and none had ever seen or heard of one of these either
      -- except John Sterling mentioned that he had seen one of these at
      MacKerricher State Park near Lake Cleone about 15 miles north of our place.
      As I mentioned this to others, Becky Bowen sent me a photo of a Hairy
      Woodpecker from last July just north of Fort Bragg with the same tail color!
      What's going on? If you have ever seen a Hairy Woodpecker with yellow outer
      tail feathers I would like to hear about it. I am beginning to believe that
      we have a small population with this characteristic locally -- but how
      locally I don't know!

      Best, Ron

      For a free natural history Picture of the Day in your e-mail, or to change
      e-mail address, add or remove yourself to this list, or to suspend receiving
      the pictures temporarily, go to
      <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php>
      http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery/omw.php

      Check out <http://www.levalleyphoto.com/gallery>
      www.LeValleyPhoto.com/gallery for archived OMW photos!

      Ron LeValley Photography
      P.O. Box 332
      Little River CA 95456
      707/937-1742

      Mendocino Coast Photographer Guild and Gallery
      344 North Main Street
      Fort Bragg California USA 95437
      Cell: 707/496-3326
      Gallery: 707/964-4706