Re: [CALBIRDS] BEAN GOOSE continues

  • Andrew Core
    Message 1 of 40 , Dec 7, 2010
      The Bean Goose continues at 1:22 pm at the pond on the west side of Vendel just past the "S" curve. Brad Graham found it about 1pm - it flew in from the east with the three GWF Geese.

      Good birding!
      Andrew

      -

      Andrew Core
      Tucson, AZ - sent from phone

      On Dec 6, 2010, at 8:42 PM, Dan Singer wrote:

      > Hi all,
      >
      > The Bean Goose continued off Vendel Road at the SESS today. We saw it this afternoon beginning about 3:30pm at the "S" curve when it and its Greater White-fronted companions flew in from the south and landed in the southern most pond on the west side of the road. After about 20 minutes the birds flew south a short ways and landed in the field just south and west of the "S" curve where we watched it until 4:45pm as darkness set in. The geese were still feeding when we left.
      >
      > Dan Singer
      > Pacifica

    • Bob Miller
      Message 40 of 40 , Dec 30, 2010
        Hi all,

        Got to go goosing this morning, Thursday 12-30. Gary Settje and myself saw "the" goose with eight Greater White-fronted Geese at about 6:20, just before sunrise which is 6:40. It flew out from an unknown location as they were already in the air and going straight away west when we got on them but they had to have come up from very near where it was coming up from in the "olden days" of November which is just west of the first pond on Vendel Road.

        At Lack and Lindsey we saw an adult Mew Gull in flight, or in struggle against the wind really, as it was really blowing hard. The Salton Sea looks downright vicious with the kinds of waves that pushes up.

        Roads are fine and drying fast.

        Bruce Aird called to say that they had "the" goose in it's typical location on the east side of Vendel Road south of the tower about 9am. He said it was alone on the edge of the white geese flock with no Greater White-fronted to be seen. This is not the first time it has bailed on its companions if only temporarily.

        Most interesting thing I noted this morning were the huge numbers of American White Pelican that came up from north of the tower. I estimate around 4,000 birds and would contest any number under 3,000!

        Yesterday evening in Brawley, just before sunset, standing in front of the house with the wind wailing while waiting for a ride to a holiday dinner party... 30 to 40 Turkey Vulture were coming to roost near K and Rio Vista. Thought I had the Zone-tailed Hawk come in but it turned out to be a very dark morph Red-tailed Hawk and the strangest part was that it had about 25 Cedar Waxwings bouncing around it as it headed west into the wind.

        See ya at the sea...........

        (!__!)
        (0V0) HAPPY BIRDING
        {}~~{} BOB MILLER