BROWN SHRIKE CONTINUES

  • Sean E. McAllister
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 4, 2010

      Matthew Matthiessen and David Nelson put in a full day of searching and
      reported seeing the BROWN SHRIKE on three occasions this afternoon. They
      first had the bird at about 2:15, way to the south, almost to the Mad River.
      They had another look at the bird from that same location at about 2:45,
      and then at about 3:30 they found it again, back to the north, roughly
      between the two ponds, on the west side. I'm pretty sure Brent Campos also
      saw the shrike earlier in the day on the west side of the south pond.

      Sean McAllister, for Matthew Matthiessen

    • Michael Feighner
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
        What is the scoop on the reliability of the presence of the Brown Shrike? I
        do see some successful reports with many unsuccessful reports in between. I
        like many others are reluctant to make the long trip to Humboldt County trip
        under such risky assumptions.

        --

        Michael Feighner

        Livermore, CA, Alameda County

        http://www.linkedIn.com/in/michaelfeighner

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2010
          I am reposting Rob's email about the shrike. I think it more or less hits the nail on the head. Main tips for seeing the bird: Try scanning the marshy area and stunted alders from the dunes and working your way up and down the area that way. Stay out of the bird's and other birders way by not bushwhacking and thrashing the habitat. Hanging out in the vegetation where the bird has been seen will likely only result in making the bird skulk. Finding this bird takes a lot of patience, luck, and time. People should not assume that the bird has left simply because there are a few days of negative reports.

          Good luck,
          Daryl Coldren

          Hi all,
          Daryl Coldren and Leslie Tucci refound the Brown Shrike this morning around
          1100. The bird was refound by them at the north end of the northernmost pond
          so it's still obviously ranging over the large area of habitat.

          Couple tips on finding the bird:

          1) Almost every time it's been found it has been on a sunny or partly cloudy
          day. Despite intensive searching most of the time it has been present it has
          ONLY been found on day's like this.

          2) It obviously is not around when large groups of birders are all over the
          place looking for it. I would recommend birders wanting to chase the bird to
          meet up on nice days around 0830 at the Vista Overlook parking lot and walk
          down together and stay together. It does nobody any good to have people
          walking all over the place. If it's raining or threatening to rain stay
          home.

          3) Once you get to the north end of the first pond start scanning all the
          habitat intensely while walking along VERY slowly, heading south. It seems
          best to walk on the west side of the ponds. Both today and on 11/28 this is
          how the bird was refound.

          4) Today and on 11/28 the bird was observed from some distance. It doesn't
          seem to respond well to people wanting to get closer to it to get better
          looks or photos. The bird has already been photographically documented well
          so look first and if you're lucky enough to get photos then great but don't
          rush the bird so that you can get your dream shot or full scope/binocular
          view. Be happy enough that you are seeing it. Today while Leslie and Daryl
          were viewing the bird they stayed their distance and were able to refind the
          bird on at least 4, and maybe more, occasions. They said that there was
          somebody out there walking a dog and when that person showed up the shrike
          disappeared....not sure if they refound it after that or not. This is
          similar to our experience on 11/28.

          So, hopefully these tips will help others that haven't seen it yet get on
          this bird.

          One last thing: I have heard that there have been some instances of people
          bushwacking through the habitat in an effort to flush the bird out of cover.
          This supposedly happened on the last day that it was seen (11/29) with
          birders rushing to the location and encircling the willow or alder that it
          was found in. Then somebody decided to rush into the patch and try to scare
          the bird out. THIS DIDN'T WORK so don't act dumb and do the same thing. This
          is what gives birders bad names.

          Happy shrike hunting,

          --
          Rob Fowler