Brown shrike 20101203

  • Elias Elias
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi all

      The brown shrike was last seen this afternoon about 16:00. It was north of the north pond. That would put it directly below the vista point caltrans rest area. I was standing on the rip-rap road at the toe of the bluff looking west toward the dunes. The hyperlink below ought to take you to a google map with a marker about where the bird was.

      If I could give you any free advice it would be to get elevation. Every time I saw it, it was perched about 0.7 to 1 meter off the ground in alders about 1.5 to 2.0 meters tall. Therefor making it difficult if you weren't up a dune or slightly up the bluff.

      The bird is small and doesn't act like a loggerhead. It is surprisingly pale and can be overlooked for a pale alder leaf. It remains stationary for up to 2 minutes (n=3). It has rapid wingbeats and appears to have the wingloading of a song sparrow doing it's quiver wing flutter flight. You know, like they do at courtship time. Hope this helps.

      Waltz across the dunes. Or along the eastern edge of the ponds at the toe of the bluff. Step step pause to scan with binoculars. Repeat.

      Good luck. It's a cool bird.

      Brsh 20101203

      Elias
      Arcata CA