"Big Al" seen on 11-30-10

  • naturestoc
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2010
      Hi All. I noticed a request on another list regarding sightings of the Laysan Albatross that winters (18th year?)at Pt. Arena, Mendocino co. The bird was seen on 11-30-10 in the pm. I arrived at around 3pm and he was out near the breakers at high tide. He preened a bit, then took off out to sea at around 3:20pm. I spent the night in the area and returned to the pier before sun up and Al was not present. I hung out till 1pm and he didn't return. The locals say he flys in and out. I deduced that he really doesn't have a pattern. So, be prepared, he may not cooperate!