Winter Wren update

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 26, 2010
      Following the excellent directions posted by Paul Lehman back on 4
      Nov, I looked for the Winter Wren at its thicket between 10:15-11:15
      this morning. All was quiet the first 45 minutes but then the wren
      began loudly chipping in the center of the thicket, and climbed high
      into the 'canopy' of the thicket where it continued to call while
      giving rather nice views before eventually dropping back down. To my
      ear the 'chimp-chimp' calls have a squeaky toy timbre, even more so
      than, say, a Song Sparrow. I'm sure that I'd have missed it had it
      not started vocalizing.

      Also looked at Long Beach harbor spot for Black-tailed Gull enroute
      home, but it was not present at mid-day; indeed, very few gulls were
      there in this nice weather.

      Don Roberson
      Pacific Grove CA
      http://creagrus.home.montereybay.com/