Falcated Duck

  • Jim Holmes
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 22, 2002
      The Falcated Duck was seen in the morning of 3/22. It was in the same pond
      on the north side of the Fish and Game Road at Honey Lake WMA. THere is
      green tape attached to some bushes at the site. It spent a fair amount of
      time hidden as some of the pond is not visible from the road.

      The Northern Shrike was on Mapes Road about 0.75 miles north of the
      intersection with Fish and Game Road. It was on the west side of the road
      just south of the railroad tracks.

      The Harris Sparrow was also on Mapes Road. It was south of the intersection
      with Fish and Game Road. If you go south on Mapes road, shortly after
      passing FIsh and Game Road there will be a house on the east side of the
      road (I believe the address is 762-200, but that could be wrong, regardless
      it is the first house south of Fish and Game Road). The bird was with a
      flock of White crowned Sparrows in the trees and brush south of this house
      along Mapes Road.

      The weather was looking very bad as we hurried across the Sierra Nevadas so
      check the road conditions before striking out this weekend.

      Good luck,

      Jim Holmes,
      Sacramento, CA
    • John Meyer
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 30, 2002
        All:

        The Falcated Duck at Honey Lake continues. It was in the location
        previously described. Maria and I (and a good many others) saw it both
        yesterday (Friday) and today (Saturday). We did not find the Northern
        Shrike or Harris's Sparrow either day.

        Yours, John Meyer
        *********
        John Meyer, Dept. of Soc., Stanford U., Stanford CA 94305. (650)7231868
      • bkalpa2
        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          >>> Frank Hall 03/05/03 01:56PM >>>

          The male (superb) falcated duck is back and present on the fish ponds
          (south of Fish and Game Road) at the Fleming Unit of Honey Lake
          Wildlife Area. This is a publically accessible part of the area and
          they should fill out a visitor card if they come onto the area. It
          MAY be occasionally viewable from the county road (north and south)
          near where it was last year. It was viewed by two persons this
          morning. Bruce, John and Brad, feel free to inform those who would
          like a (or another) look. Please have them call the wildlife area HQ
          530-254-6644 for more immediate info. (from Bobby Tatman) .
          Frank

          Frank Hall
          Associate Wildlife Biologist
          California Department of Fish and Game
          728-600 Fish and Game Road
          Wendel, California 96136
          fhall@...
          530- 254-6808
          Fax 530-254-6994
        • Butch Carter
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 10, 2011
            Hello
               I am planning on leaving this afternoon from San Diego, Is the Falcated Duck still there ???

                 Thank You
                 Butch Carter
                 Santa Ysabel, Calif

          • Naturestoc@aol.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 10, 2011
              Not seen as of 11am this morning. dan

              Dan Brown, Sacramento
              www.naturestoc.smugmug.com

              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 27, 2011
                Please ignore my previous message. Somehow I missed the message from Chuck
                Dresel.

                Please continue to post sightings of this beautiful bird! Also, please post
                if looked for and not seen, as well.

                Thanks!

                Lori & Mark Conrad

                Hermosa Beach

              • Gary
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 29, 2011
                  Hi All: The Duck was viewed today by many people. He was feeding in front of the viewing platform between 09:00 and 09:30 this morning and then returned to the log with some pintails where he took a nap. He was still visible when we left at about noon.

                  Gary Grenfell
                  Granite Bay
                • Linda LeRoy
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 11, 2012
                    The Falcated Duck was being observed from the platform when we arrived at 4:20pm, & was still visible & actively feeding in front of a small, fairly distant island, when we left as the light faded at 5:10.
                    Linda LeRoy
                    Al Moreno
                    Downey, Ca
                  • Maggie Rufo
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jan 28, 2012
                      Present at the Colusa viewing platform today.

                      Maggie Rufo
                      Novato
                    • Jean
                      Message 10 of 12 , Feb 5, 2012
                        My friend Mary Rose and I searched this morning, 2/5, from about 7am to 10am for the duck with no luck. We returned later in the day, around 230 I think and spent about 20 minutes - no celebrity duck for us.
                      • Ruth Rudesill
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 8, 2013
                          I've checked the online websites with no recent information. Has anyone seen or tried to find the Falcated Duck in the past week?
                          We're thinking of trying for it tomorrow.
                          Thanks for any information!

                          Ruth Rudesill
                          Kenwood CA

                        • NIKKI
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 8, 2013
                            I went to Colusa AND the Sac Refuge on Thursday and no Falcated Duck.  It has NOT been CONFIRMED seen since the 19th of December.  Looks like it is gone
                            Nikki
                            Redding CA