more on Salton Sea BEAN GOOSE

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 9, 2010
      To add to what Bob Miller posted, a single photo of this bird was sent to Guy McCaskie this afternoon around 3PM, and then forwarded to me and many others. It appears to be a Bean Goose, and based on the bill shape I would say it likely a Taiga Bean-Goose ("Middendorff's") rather than a Tundra Bean-Goose. Both species (recently split just a couple years ago) have occurred in Alaska, and at least Middendorff's has also occurred in southern Canada and the Lower 48 states several times.

      As Bob posted, the bird was present in the fields at Unit 1, South End Salton Sea, with Snow Geese earlier today.

      See you there! We'll certainly post an update as soon as we have something to say tomorrow AM.

      --Paul Lehman (on Barbara Carlson's computer)-- San Diego