More Black-tailed Gull info, Alamitos Bay

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2010
      Birders,

      The winter adult Black-tailed Gull was showing very well for many
      birders (and photographers with big lenses) along Bay Shore Dr. in
      Alamitos Bay/Naples/Long Beach until I left around 12:45pm. I presume
      it is still there now. I'm sure links to many good photos will be
      posted soon.

      Just to repeat the directions:

      From the southbound 405 (San Diego Fwy.): Exit at Studebaker Rd. (just
      west of the 605 Fwy.). Go right (south) on Studebaker to Westminster
      Ave.

      From northbound 405: Take 22 Fwy west to Studebaker Rd. or to Pacific
      Coast Hwy. and go south (on either of those) to Westminster Ave.

      Then go right (west) on Westminster Ave., crossing over the first bridge
      onto Naples Island. Immediately after the second bridge (i.e., as you
      leave Naples Island), turn left (south) on Bay Shore Dr.

      The gull flock is on the beach on the left (east) side of Bay Shore Dr.,
      anywhere from 100m to about 300m south of 2nd Street (which is what
      Westminster Ave. is called at that point). There is plenty of parking
      (at least on weekdays) on the west side of Bay Shore.

      The flock consists of the usual beach bums: Ring-billed, California, a
      few Western and Heermann's, and the star of the day.

      Many thanks to Robb Hamilton for finding the bird and getting the word
      out so quickly.

      Kimball

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager