Least Storm-Petrel Swarm photos

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 24, 2010
      Greetings,

      The swarm of thousands of Least & Black Storm-Petrel photos taken Oct 9 in L.A. County are in and posted. Visit:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/2010tripreports/sandiego9oct2010.html. The video contains Matt's photos of the presumed Townsend's Leach's Storm-Petrel as well as cameos of Paul Lehman, Curtis Marantz, Brian Daniels, Guy (whale expert) McCaskie and San Diego's favorite redhead, Shellie Matson.

      November begins the season for Short-tailed Shearwaters. Buena Vista Audubon's final 2010 pelagic trip goes a-hunting shearwaters on the Nine Mile Bank before visiting the Coronados Islands to see how many booby species are hanging out there. Early Bird Registration is $60 through November 4 for this Nine hour pelagic.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/sandiegonov132010.html

      We expect numbers of Pink-footed and Sooty Shearwaters as they head back to their breeding grounds in the Southern Hemisphere. Black-vented Shearwaters are now here in force from their summer breeding grounds in Baja -- we'll sort through them for Manx Shearwaters -- experts think it's just a matter of time until we find one off San Diego in autumn. And don't forget – a Red-billed Tropicbird was photographed on the Nine Mile Bank on 13 Feb 2010. You just never know.

      Finally, the daily, county and geographical area species list for the Oct 2-4 trip (much of it in L.A. waters) is now posted on that trip report's webpage at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/2010tripreports/sandiego24oct2010.html

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas, San Diego
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole and Mike San Miguel
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf

      SoCal Pelagic Birding Adventures

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aW8-13p-IE
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWIstYZ5SV4
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu2DPpoukuk
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3je_q7iurrk
    • Bob Power
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 24, 2010
        The url in the 2nd line has a period at the end. If one deletes the period, the
        site comes up.
        Bob Power
        Oakland, CA