Re: [CALBIRDS] Yosemite Great Gray Owl - a new race

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
      All,

      Not to be a wet blanket, but acceptance of this claimed new subspecies is
      far from assured. The authors managed to claim a new subspecies without
      designating a type specimen or specimens. This is required for any new
      subspecies.

      Furthermore the description of the new subspecies and its diagnosis is
      based entirely on blood genetics. Differences in genetics, detectable only
      by blood samples are not the usual way of diagnosing subspecies. Valid
      subspecies must be diagnosable taxonomically which means that the
      differences must be visible in museum specimens via normal examination and
      or measurements.

      Those interested may be interested in checking out the ICZN site:

      http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/

      However, it is not necessary for a subspecies to be valid, for any
      population to be considered endangered or threatened in law. All that is
      needed for that is for the population to be defined in law.

      On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:49:08 -0400, Lammergeiereyes@... wrote:

      >Confirmation in the literature of the species as a bonafide ssp., I suspect will eventually result in federal listing if FWS is petitioned. While it might not have a significant impact on Yosemite parklands management, it would have important consequences for national forestlands management including those outside the park which Dan describes below.
      >

      >Sounds like a fun couple of days.
      >

      >Blake T. Matheson
      >President, Monterey Audubon Society
      >
      >"Men still live who, in their youth, remember Passenger Pigeons. Trees still live who, in their youth, were shaken by a living wind. But a decade hence only the oldest oaks will remember, and at long last only the hills will know." Leopold (1949).

      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      SF Birding Classes start Nov 2 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
      California Bird Records Committee http://www.californiabirds.org/
      Western Field Ornithologists http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/