Gray Catbird, Dimond Park, Oakland

  • Glen Tepke
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 16, 2010
      Mark Rauzon found a Gray Catbird about 9:30 this morning in Dimond Park
      in Oakland (Alameda Co.), while we were doing a bird survey for Friends
      of Sausal Creek. Dimond Park is off of Park Boulevard between I-580 and
      Hwy 13. If you're going northeast (uphill) on Park from I-580, go past
      the Glenview commercial district and then a few more blocks to a Union
      76 gas station on the right. Immediately after the gas station, turn
      right onto El Centro. Follow El Centro downhill for a couple of blocks
      and cross Sausal Creek at the bottom of the hill. The parking lot for
      Dimond Park is on the right a short distance after the creek.
      Immediately after the entrance to the lot, El Centro bends to the left
      and becomes Hanly. From the center of the parking lot, take stairs
      downhill to the tot lot section of the park. The catbird was first seen
      in the trees around the tot lot, then it moved downstream (left if you
      are standing at the bottom of the stairs facing the tot lot) toward the
      swimming pool, moving through the trees on both sides of the park.

      Dimond Park is shown on this Bay Area birding sites map

      http://tinyurl.com/yo5oqf

      and this map of the Sausal Creek watershed:

      http://www.sausalcreek.org/pdf/sausal_trails_dican_noh.pdf

      Here are some photos of the bird:

      http://www.pbase.com/gtepke/gray_catbird_101016

      Good luck.