Re: [CALBIRDS] Yosemite Great Gray Owl - a new race

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
      Hi birders

      Here's a link forwarded to me by our good owl researcher friend:

      http://www.nps.gov/yose/naturescience/loader.cfm?csModule=security/
      getfile&PageID=381142

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA

      On Oct 14, 2010, at 7:57 AM, Chris Conard wrote:

      > Folks,
      >
      > A nice overview of the status of Great Gray Owls in the state may
      > be found
      > in this Western Birds piece by Dave Quady (Western Birds
      > 39:110–116, 2008):
      > http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/docs/abstracts/39-2FP.pdf
      >
      > On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Dan Lockshaw <dan100@...> wrote:
      >
      >> This is a bit of a delayed posting but two of us from
      >> Optics4Birding made a
      >> short visit to Yosemite National Park to look for owls on Sept.
      >> 27th and 28
      >> th. Our main target species were Great Gray, Spotted and Northern
      >> Pygmy
      >> Owls. The visit was very short, and with long delays in the park for
      >> post-summer road construction, most of our time was spent looking
      >> for Great
      >> Gray Owl.
      >>
      > Chris Conard
      > Sacramento

      > email to these addresses:
      >
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Geoffrey Rogers
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
        Dan wrote: "Another great California bird, I believe, is headed for peril."

        Indeed, it's already listed as state endangered. Subspecific designation
        should generate additional protection.

        Geoff Rogers
        San Diego, CA
        oreortyx@...

        Pygmy Owls because of post fledging vocalizations. Only on one of the
        mornings did we even get out to look for pygmy owls. I posted a photo on
        the Optics4Birding blog.

        > The Spotted Owl sighting provided our most surprising owl behavior. On
        Wednesday night while driving along Hwy 120, we pulled up alongside a
        Spotted Owl sitting atop a snow pole on the side of the road. The habitat
        along both sides was generally correct but it was odd to find a Spotted Owl
        actually hunting along the highway. I don't recall ever having seen this
        behavior before from Spotted Owl although I do remember, several years ago,
        seeing Spotted Owls very close to the highway on Mosquito Ridge Road in
        Placer County.

        > Great Gray Owl is one of the most sought after birds in the Sierra
        Nevada. It is the rarest resident species in Yosemite National Park and
        this is the only area to find one in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. Recent
        genetic analysis of Yosemite area Great Grays has shown them to be a unique
        subspecies: Strix nebulosa yosemitensis, according to lead researchers John
        J. Keane and Holly B. Ernest. There are only two other Great Gray Owl races
        recognized in the world (the North American race and the Eurasian race).
        For more details about this and photos, please see the Optics4Birding blog.

        > We had very close encounters with Great Gray Owls on this trip. My
        comments here are more about the places we didn't see Great Grays where I
        expect to find them in the National Forest outside the park. It really
        disturbs me to go look for Great Grays and instead find COWS! Livestock
        grazing thins meadow vegetation which favors Great Horned Owls. Even worse
        in my mind are cow bells! I asked land owners about why they put cow bells
        on their livestock in fenced meadows and they claim it "helps them to find
        the animals if they break through fences". I understand the needs of land
        owners to make a living but in the case of such a small population of a
        unique subspecies of bird, in a National Forest, I have to question these
        management decisions. In an otherwise quiet night, it is really painful to
        me to go into prime habitat of the National Forest valley ringing with cow
        bells. No self respecting owl of any species could tolerate this kind of
        noise and I suspect all of nature is negatively affected.

        > Our trip into the Yosemite area was very brief. Road construction lights,
        noise and cow bells drove our searches deeper into the forests. Although we
        did find the owls we went to find, other bird seekers will continue to be
        more challenged. The genetic analyses of our Sierra Nevada Great Gray Owls
        shows they have not interbred with the North American nominate species for
        an estimated 26,700 years. Another great California bird, I believe, is
        headed for peril.

        > Dan Lockshaw
        > http://optics4birding.com
        > Irvine, CA

        these addresses:

      • Lammergeiereyes@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 14, 2010
          Confirmation in the literature of the species as a bonafide ssp., I suspect will eventually result in federal listing if FWS is petitioned. While it might not have a significant impact on Yosemite parklands management, it would have important consequences for national forestlands management including those outside the park which Dan describes below.

          Sounds like a fun couple of days.

          Blake T. Matheson
          President, Monterey Audubon Society

          "Men still live who, in their youth, remember Passenger Pigeons. Trees still live who, in their youth, were shaken by a living wind. But a decade hence only the oldest oaks will remember, and at long last only the hills will know." Leopold (1949).

          Dan wrote: "Another great California bird, I believe, is headed for peril."

          Indeed, it's already listed as state endangered. Subspecific designation
          should generate additional protection.

          Geoff Rogers
          San Diego, CA
          oreortyx@...

          these addresses:

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          =

        • Joseph Morlan
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2010
            All,

            Not to be a wet blanket, but acceptance of this claimed new subspecies is
            far from assured. The authors managed to claim a new subspecies without
            designating a type specimen or specimens. This is required for any new
            subspecies.

            Furthermore the description of the new subspecies and its diagnosis is
            based entirely on blood genetics. Differences in genetics, detectable only
            by blood samples are not the usual way of diagnosing subspecies. Valid
            subspecies must be diagnosable taxonomically which means that the
            differences must be visible in museum specimens via normal examination and
            or measurements.

            Those interested may be interested in checking out the ICZN site:

            http://www.nhm.ac.uk/hosted-sites/iczn/code/

            However, it is not necessary for a subspecies to be valid, for any
            population to be considered endangered or threatened in law. All that is
            needed for that is for the population to be defined in law.

            On Thu, 14 Oct 2010 11:49:08 -0400, Lammergeiereyes@... wrote:

            >Confirmation in the literature of the species as a bonafide ssp., I suspect will eventually result in federal listing if FWS is petitioned. While it might not have a significant impact on Yosemite parklands management, it would have important consequences for national forestlands management including those outside the park which Dan describes below.
            >

            >Sounds like a fun couple of days.
            >

            >Blake T. Matheson
            >President, Monterey Audubon Society
            >
            >"Men still live who, in their youth, remember Passenger Pigeons. Trees still live who, in their youth, were shaken by a living wind. But a decade hence only the oldest oaks will remember, and at long last only the hills will know." Leopold (1949).

            Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
            SF Birding Classes start Nov 2 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/
            California Bird Records Committee http://www.californiabirds.org/
            Western Field Ornithologists http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/