Monterey Bay to Big Sur: October 8, 2010

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2010
      Hello, Birders,

      This is a brief report of the highlights of a pelagic trip from
      Monterey, south to Big Sur, today. A strong sea surface temperature
      break was indicated, and indeed, we did find this. The area about
      nine miles off Big Sur was teaming with seabirds. First thing, we
      found two FIN WHALES. Highlights included: 7 FLESH-FOOTED
      SHEARWATERS, 800 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS, 300 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS,
      400 SOOTY SHEARWATERS, 12 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES, thousands and
      thousands of RED & RED-NECKED PHALAROPES, 4 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, 10
      POMARINE & 6 PARASITIC JAEGERS, and 1 TUFTED PUFFIN. The area was
      boiling with krill balls, at the surface. Huge masses of mixed
      shearwaters and gulls, were feeding on the krill, gulping it like a
      tasty desert. Humboldt squid were actively pursuing the krill balls.
      We wondered why no whales were there? Alas, at the end of the day, we
      encountered four BLUE WHALES off Point Pinos, steaming at 8.4 knots
      � south for the krill!

      Spaces are still available on our last two Monterey trips of the fall
      season:
      October 9 with Todd McGrath, Wes Fritz, Clay Kempf, John Hiles, Abe
      Borker, Gerry McChesney & Debi Shearwater leading.
      October 17th with Linda Terrill, Scott Terrill, Todd McGrath, Denise
      Wight, Clay Kempf & Rod Norden leading.

      Spaces are still available on our Half Moon Bay trip on October 17th.

      To make a reservation, please contact me by email.

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      South Georgia: Oct 18- Nov 4, 2010; Antarctica, South Georgia &
      Falkland Islands: Nov 4-22, 2010