Cerulean Warbler in Humboldt

  • Rob Fowler
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2010
      Hi all,
      Forwarding this for Leslie.......

      Hello,

      This morning we captured a Hatch-year Male Cerulean Warbler at Humboldt Bay
      Bird
      Observatory in Arcata. Just before 11 a very large mixed-species flock
      passed
      through the area, and at the 11 o'clock net run I approached one of our nets
      and
      found this individual caught. Jaw-dropping ensued....

      Good looking bird; distinct blue-green wash... many photos taken. People who
      were there or joined us later to see this amazing bird include Kim
      Hollinger,
      Vitek Jirinec, Daryl Coldren, Rob Fowler, Gary Lester, Tom Leskiw, Chet Ogan
      among others (sorry if I can't remember everyone). The bird was released at
      about 12:30 on HBBO (CJ Ralph's) property.

      If you are thinking about looking for this bird, please keep in mind that it
      is
      on private property. It is located at the very end of Lanphere Road on the
      left
      after a metal pipe gate. Please close the gate behind you and drive slowly
      (10
      mph) on the gravel road. Please try to limit your wanderings to the HBBO
      property and on the road by foot. Thank you!

      Good birding!

      Leslie Tucci

      Here's some further directions for out-of-towners:

      .Lanphere Rd. is in the Arcata Bottoms and accessed easiest by taking the
      Giuntoli exit at the north end of Arcata. Go west off the exit and take the
      first road on the right (Heindon Rd.) and then take the left turn which
      takes you towards Mad River Beach County Park and the Arcata Bottoms. Once
      you hit the next road (Mad River Rd.) take a left and then take a right on
      the next road and drive to the west end of Lanphere Rd. You'll see the gate
      on the left that says private property. Open that gate and make sure to
      close it behind you. Drive to the end (speed limit is 10 mph) to where
      you'll see a barn right on your left and HBBO is off to the right, CJ Ralphs
      house is south past the barn. According to the HBBO personnel they urge
      birders to stay within within the banding area and the main road.

      Good luck if you try for this fine bird!
      --
      Rob Fowler
      McKinleyville, CA