Brief Report: October 2, 2010 Half Moon Bay Pelagic Trip

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2010
      Hello, Birders,

      We enjoyed a terrific pelagic trip from Half Moon Bay, today. Highlights included: one of the most photographic displays of BLACK STORM-PETRELS (372) this fall, coming in to Wes Fritz' oil slick, while ASHY STORM-PETRLES (141) made reasonable passes at the boat; WILSON'S (4) and LEAST(5) STORM-PETRELS were also recorded. The SABINE'S GULL (440) show was completely unexpected. POMARINE, PARASITC and LONG-TAILED JAEGERS, as well as SOUTH POLAR SKUA were recorded. It appears that the second brooding CASSIN'S AUKLET chicks have fledged, as the sea was covered with some 6,000 of these krill-feeding butterballs. The humpback (48) and blue whale (6) feeding frenzy continued. One "friendly" humpback what kept surfacing very close to our vessel. RED (800) and RED-NECKED (30) PHALAROPES were feeding, as well. The day was spiced up with COMMON and ARCTIC TERNS. BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSS (11), NORTHERN FULMAR (8), FLESH-FOOTED (1), BULLER'S (18), PINK-FOOTED (196) and SOOTY SHEARWATERS kept folks busy. It was a fabulous day for the photographers on board, of which there were many. The day ended with a single MARBLED MURRELET just outside the harbor´┐Ż more photos. Along the jetty, many shorebirds, including SURFBIRDDS, were a delight. It was a well rounded day of seabirding.

      Shearwaters forever,

      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      South Georgia: Oct 18 - Nov 4; Antarctica, South Georgia & Falkland Islands: Nov 4 - 22, 2010