Sep 13, 2010 Half Moon Bay Pelagic Trip Highlights

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2010
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      Shearwater Journey's pelagic trip from Half Moon Bay on Monday, September 13, 2010 was astounding! We covered both San Mateo and San Francisco Counties, spending a significant part of the day in San Francisco County. We reached the warm water edge where the albacore boats were fishing. One of these guys gave me two albacore for my birthday! This is where Wes Fritz found a single, distant "Cook's type" petrel. The murrelets were also at this edge. The warm water out of Half Moon Bay is the only place along the coast where it can be reached in a one day trip, right now. The numbers, below, may be tweaked a bit, once I get some input from the other leaders who were on board with us. It sure was a fantastic day! and, birthday!

      We were out on glassy, smooth seas for a solid 12 hours (much longer than the trip was scheduled to be out). It was an incredible day for photographers, with the afternoon lighting especially awesome. It is pretty obvious that there is an awful lot of food available in this region, not only for birds, but also whales, dolphins, and sea lions.

      Spaces are still available on our trip departing from Half Moon Bay, this Friday, September 17th. To make a reservation, please email me: debi@.... I can only be reached by email.

      SEPTEMBER 13, 2010 HALF MOON BAY:

      1 COOKELARIA PETREL
      2 or 3 LAYSAN ALBATROSSES
      45 BLACK-FOOTED ALBATROSSES
      130 NORTHERN FULMARS
      82 PINK-FOOTED SHEARWATERS
      28 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS
      265 SOOTY SHEARWATERS
      4 WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS
      14 FORK-TAILED STORM-PETRELS
      580 ASHY STORM-PETRELS
      12 BLACK STORM-PETRELS
      20,000 RED/RED-NECKED PHALAROPES- huge migrating flocks which darkened the sky
      4 SOUTH POLAR SKUAS
      2 POMARINE JAEGERS
      8 PARASITIC JAEGERS
      20 LONG-TAILED JAEGERS
      24 SABINE'S GULLS
      250 ELEGANT TERNS
      8 COMMON TERNS
      6 ARCTIC TERNS
      385 COMMON MURRES
      1 PIGEON GUILLEMOT
      28 CASSIN'S AUKLETS
      2 XANTUS' MURRELETS (hypoleuca)
      76 RHINOCEROS AUKLETS
      450 CALIFORNIA SEA LIONS, feeding offshore, probably on sardines
      1 NORTHERN FUR SEAL
      4 HARBOR SEALS
      6 FIN WHALES
      73 HUMPBACK WHALES !
      32 RISSO'S DOLPHINS
      120 PACIFIC WHITE-SIDED DOLPHINS
      16 DALL'S PORPOISE
      3 OCEAN SUNFISH
      3 BLUE SHARKS

      Shearwaters forever,
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      South Georgia: Oct 18 - Nov 4; Antarctica, South Georgia & Falkland Islands: Nov 4 - 22, 2010