Purple Gallinule respotted at San Gabriel River

  • Norm
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 13, 2010
      The elusive Purple Gallinule juvenile was spotted again very briefly at the same spot on the SG river at 6:25pm on Monday the 13th. I have marked the fence with a pink bag (which was the best piece of colorful trash I could find.) I am reposting the previous directions as the bird is in the same place.

      As stated in earlier posts, get off the 605 at Whittier or Washington Blvd west
      and go west to Passons. Go south from Whittier or north from Washington until
      you get to Mines Ave. Turn east, back towards the river until it ends. Park and
      walk through the gate straight east across the top of the dike. The gate on the
      dike is currently open, though may get locked, in which case go around it or
      walk around the dry ponds to the far side where the river is. The bird was seen
      about halfway between the waterfall to the north and the point at which you
      entered. It was seen just north of the point on the path across from the second, shorter power line tower east of the river when counted from the waterfall to the north. It was 150 feet north of the 0.4 mile marker painted on the bike path. If it stays in this spot, it needs to be viewed from the west side of the river. The river can also be
      seen from the path on the east side, better for morning viewing, when accessed
      from Whittier Blvd. (park at the Pio Pico historical site) or from the Dunlap
      Crossing entrance across the river from the Mines Ave. entrance. Follow the
      Flickr link which has a map with a marker with its location.

      http://www.flickr.com/photos/norm72/4954361194/in/photostream/

      You can use 9716 Mines Ave. Pico Rivera 90660 as an address to get you there as
      well.
      http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9716-Mines-Ave-Pico-Rivera-CA-90660/21098844_z\
      pid/

      Good luck with round two,