Re: [CALBIRDS] Any known Chukar sightings for Kings Co, please?

  • Elias Elias
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
      John

      I would encourage you to retain the species on the list. Simply have an annotation which states an introduced population persisted for a brief time but has since become extirpated.

      I am all for presenting a list of all free flying species established or otherwise. Birding is about bird ID and could be about keep a finger on the pulse of local avifauna. If we don't pay attention to the esoterica of bird distribution and don't transmit knowledge of past experimentation to subsequent generations who will?

      Elias
      Arcata CA/Ridgefield WA
      Walkie talkie 707-633-8833

      On Sep 12, 2010, at 18:02, "calexandrinus" <j_f_lockhart@...> wrote:

      > Kings Co Chukar removed from county list.
      >
      > The consensus among Kings Co's birders is that Chukar should be removed from the list as the only known records are from planted birds in 1940-1950.
      >
      > If anyone knows of any other references or sightings please contact me.
      >
      > The following 2 excerpts from articles in the Condor are the only known records for Kings Co.
      >
      > Kettleman Hills, 1940 - 1944,
      > Alectoris gruecu. Chukar Partridge. This is one of the two species of game birds which the local
      > sportsmen's clubs have been trying to establish in the Kettleman Hills Game Refuge. They were raised
      > in pens for two years, then released a few at a time, starting about 1940. In the spring of 1943 the
      > first wild broods were seen. We recorded Chukars here in 1944 between April 10 and May 5, and on
      > July 20 (an adult with six young), August 28, and October 31. A few more were reported in February,
      > 1945.
      > The Condor, Jul 1945, Vol. 47 p 149
      > BIRDS OF THE KETTLEMAN HILLS AREA, CALIFORNIA
      > By IDA DEMAY WILSON
      >
      > No more Chukars are to be reared or released north of Tehachapi by State Pens, as plants made in this area
      > have not made the desired progress.
      > The Condor, Mar 1950, Vol. 52 p 84
      > FURTHER RECORDS OF THE BIRDS OF THE KETTLEMAN HILLS AREA, CALIFORNIA
      > By IDA DEMAY WILSON
      >
      > If anyone knows of Kings Co Chukar sightings please contact me.
      >
      > John Lockhart
      > Visalia

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Don Roberson
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13, 2010
        Elias -- you may be confusing the "official county list" with county
        record keeping. For example, Monterey County has an official county list
        that includes all native birds, all vagrants that have acceptable
        documentation, and the non-native exotics which have populations within
        Monterey County that meet the CBRC definition of "establsihed" here.
        However, Monterey has always kept track of all free-flying birds. If you
        look at either "Monterey Birds" 2d ed (2003) or the Breeding Bird Atlas
        (1993), you will find appendices detailing the facts about pheasants,
        chukars, flamingos, parrots, and other non-native that do not qualify
        for the official county list. There is no reduction in record keeping
        for birds not on the county list.

        The county list serves numerous purposes, including as a resource for
        the public and governmental agencies to determine what birds have
        occurred within the county and that meet long-established guidelines for
        official checklists, going back to the AOU lists of the 1800s (and
        maintained rigorously today).

        Birders use official checklists as guidelines for their own listing
        efforts and often birders use them to compare lists with each other.
        Those interesting in birding the entire State enjoy comparing the
        official lists in each county, and Joe Morlan has an entire website that
        features this information.

        If we started adding all the free-flying escapes from captivity on these
        lists -- I have seen Hyacinth Macaw free-flying in San Francisco and a
        peacock-pheasant "in the wild" in Monterey -- the lists would become
        meaningless for these birder-friendly comparative purposes.

        However, please understand that county record keepers continue to
        compile information even about the most unlikely escapees. I have
        details on all the flamingos that have escaped in Monterey County, going
        back a half-century or more. I also maintain records on Chukars here.
        Like Kings County, there is not and never has been an established
        population. All records have proved to be from ranches raising and
        releasing Chukars for hunting, or escapes from private aviculturalists.

        Don Roberson
        County record keeper for Monterey County