Brief report: Sep 9 pelagic trip

  • Debra Shearwater
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 2010
      Howdy, Seabirders,

      This is a brief report of the highlights of a spectacular pelagic
      trip on Monterey Bay today�

      STREAKED SHEARWATER- an individual flew by the boat about 11 am. Only
      a few of us on board saw it. No photographs were obtained. It was a
      "satisfactory view, but not a satisfying view, " as one person put
      it. Wes laid out a slick which we sat on for 45 minutes, but the
      shearwater did not return. I think we were in Santa Cruz County. Will
      confirm this, later. However, we had great views of many seabirds,
      including a second FLESH-FOOTED SHEARWATER for the day (first of the
      fall season), SOUTH POLAR SKUAS, all three jaegers, BLACK, ASHY &
      WILSON'S STORM-PETRELS, SABINE'S GULLS, ARCTIC TERNS, and more.

      And, I thought the great show of 23 KILLER WHALES this morning was
      going to be the highlight of the day!

      Spaces are available on tomorrow's trip departing from Monterey at 7
      am. If you would like to join us, please meet us at Chris' Fishing
      Shop on Fishermans' Wharf. Dress warmly, bring food and drinks. The
      boat fee is $145, payable in cash, at the dock. We will return about
      3 pm. Of course, we will be heading to the same places that we
      visited, today. Currently, there is one space on the Sep 11th
      Albacore trip; one space on the Sep 12th trip. Sep 13, 15 and 18 are
      sold out.

      Shearwaters forever!
      Debi Shearwater

      Debra Shearwater
      Shearwater Journeys, Inc.
      PO Box 190
      Hollister, CA 95024
      831.637.8527
      debi@...
      www.shearwaterjourneys.com
      www.shearwaterjourneys.blogspot.com

      South Georgia: Oct 18- Nov 4, 2010; Antarctica, South Georgia &
      Falkland Islands: Nov 4-22, 2010