Galileo Hill - the actual policy

  • howe395
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 5, 2010
      I know some Calbirders are probably getting sick of reading about Galileo Hill, but we do get a lot of visiting birder traffic, so the policy needs to be distributed appropriately. Thanks to Lori for her attempted clarification regarding the status of birding Galileo; however, there is some misleading information in her post.

      1) The Managing Director's name is actually Clifford Reynolds (I suppose he could go by the nickname of "Nile," but I doubt it). Mr. Reynolds is the one in charge, not whoever happens to be staffing the front desk.

      2) Clifford Reynolds sent myself and a few other birders a very nice, informative email this weekend regarding the actual policy, clarifying certain aspects of said policy.

      3) The policy differed from the substance of my Thursday email in two regards. Number one, on weekdays birders should feel welcome to begin birding well before the front desk opens at 8:30am. At that time, however, stop in at the hotel reception for a release of liability form and a car pass. Number two (and this is where Lori's email is a bit misleading), birding is "discouraged" on the weekends, although they don't mind a "bird watcher here or there." I'm not exactly sure how to quantify this last part, but it's not as if field trips are the only things they are trying to discourage on the weekends. It does sound as if a carload would be acceptable, but what happens when four car loads, independently, decide to show up? Clearly, this scenario is outside the scope of what Silver Saddle is hoping for on their weekends. So, in essence, yes singles and couples CAN present a problem. No worries if you are the only one looking to bird Galileo on a Saturday morning, but the reality is in late September and early October there will be others who are also planning to bird this location.

      Not sure what the solution is, other than to be on our best behavior and do our best to operate within the borders of this policy. Mr. Reynolds did mention that field trips and groups could arrange a weekend visit by calling ahead to make arrangements, and that birders are now asked to stay away from the hotel (other than for checking in), so no more trips through the courtyard. Two more bits of information.

      Best,

      Andrew Howe
      Riverside, CA
      howe395@...
    • Nick & Mary Freeman
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2010
        Hi Birders

        An additional request not mentioned in the latest rounds of the
        birding policy made by Mr. Clifford Reynolds is he is asking a bird
        list be made and dropped off at the front desk after you have birded
        the grounds at Galileo Hills/Silver Saddle Resort. Mr. Reynolds is
        the Managing Director:

        "It is also appreciated if you leave a list of the birds you saw at
        the front desk as the next bird watcher usually asks what birds
        people have been seeing."

        and, FYI purposes:

        "Weekends we do discourage the bird watching for both the bird
        watchers convenience as well as the convenience of our other guests.
        We do not mind a bird watcher here or there on the weekend, but we
        would prefer groups to come on the week days."

        Be on your BEST behavior while birding this gem of a site as we are
        LUCKY non-member guests to be allowed on the grounds!!!

        Cheers!

        Mary Freeman
        Glendale,CA