Hawk Hill closure; Alternate Raptor Ops

  • allenf21
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2010
      Dear Birding Colleagues -

      Just a note to let folks know that, due to the road closure to Hawk Hill, we will not be doing our reqular weekend docent programs this year. As an alternate, during clear weekends in Sept-Oct, we will set up a 10 am to 2 pm docent at the Four-Bench Pull-Out along Conzelman Road, just east of the (now-locked) McCullough-Conzelman roads intersection. The docent will be there for casual hawk spotting and ID help.

      We are doing an official count this year from several alternate sites, including Hawk Hill, depending upon the road closures. The migration count dataset for autumn 2010 as a whole will not be statistically comingled with previous years' data however certain dates and times will be comparable.

      Over the past two weeks, the count has hovered around 30 raptors per hour with lots of juv Red-tailed Hawks and early American Kestrels. Some accipiters have been counted or banded daily, and a few Prairie Falcons and Osprey have been counted as is normal for August each year. We usually see a great upsurge in accipiters just after the Labor Day weekend. Stay up with our daily resports via www.ggro.org or befriend GGRO on facebook.

      The most recent predictions for the re-opening of Hawk Hill are Oct 16th - Nov 1st, 2010. More details, and ideas for alternate hawk watching sites are at www.ggro.org. Call or email with questions or concerns. Great hawks to you -

      Allen Fish
      415-331-0730
      afish@...