Apparent New Rules - Galileo/Silver Saddle

  • howe395
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010
      I attempted to bird Galileo Hill/Silver Saddle Ranch this morning (9/2) and was informed by a worker of what appears to be a new set of rules.

      1) No birder access on Saturday or Sunday.

      2) There is birder access Monday through Friday, but only after 8am and after checking in at the front desk of the hotel.

      I attempted to verify this information, and inquire about the camping option, with the front desk people, but they had yet to open up by the time I left at 8:45am. I know that people have made travel plans, and field trips have been scheduled, that involve weekend birding at Galileo, so I just wanted to get the word out that this may not be possible this fall. It really is a story of one step forward, two steps back with this place as of late. As much as we are getting jerked around by the continually changing rules, I think its important to keep the longview and do nothing to aggravate an already delicate situation.

      Bird-wise, there was a good group of migrants present, with the following low-end notables: 17 Plegadis Ibis (circled the main lake before heading toward Cal City), a Solitary Sandpiper (main lake), a Red-breasted Nuthatch (campground), and seven species of warbler including a female American Redstart.

      Best,

      Andrew Howe
      Riverside, CA
      howe395@...