eBird tools for fall birding

  • Brian Sullivan
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 2, 2010
      CalBirders

      First, I want to say thanks to all of you who have been dedicated to
      entering your data in eBird over the past few years. California
      participation has grown tremendously, and it is by far the best state in
      terms of checklist submissions, typically coming in around 10,000
      checklists/month. This volume of data has enabled us to begin to model
      California birds, and indeed to begin to model birds across the whole of
      their range. Your continued participation will only make things better, and
      enable us to do more powerful data analysis in the future.

      As the fall season is upon us, I wanted to remind you of a few tools that
      eBird offers that might benefit your day-to-day birding. The first is the
      eBird Rare Bird Gadget, which you can read about at this URL:
      http://ebird.org/content/ebird/home/birding-news-and-features/news/Google_Gadget.html.
      Dropping this onto your iGoogle page can deliver up to the minute California
      rare bird news to your desktop.

      The other thing we have is the 'State Needs Alert', which shows you ALL the
      records reported in California for any species that you have not yet seen
      and reported to eBird (hence the term 'needs'). For those of you who have
      most of your California records up to date, this is a good way to learn of a
      potential new bird for you in the state. You can read about those Alert
      options here: http://ebird.org/ebird/alerts. We hope to make these available
      at the county level in the very near future.

      eBird now allows global data entry, and we're in the process of ramping up
      for a release of eBird Version 3 later this month. Thanks again for all your
      participation over the years, and maybe this month California birders will
      get even more energized and enter 20,000 checklists!

      Please feel free to pass this along to other local listserves.

      Thanks

      Brian

      --
      ===========