Bar-tailed Godwit, etc.

  • Jim Royer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 28 9:00 PM
      I was jogging on the Morro Bay Sandspit near Los Osos, CA today and at about
      4:15 PM I found a juvenile Bar-tailed Godwit in amongst a flock of Marbled
      Godwits. It stood out due to its slightly smaller size, shorter legs, a less
      warm color overall, smaller less colorful bill, light supercilium, a
      lightish rump with some mottling in flight and noticeably grayer in flight
      than the Marbleds. The bird was found even with kilometer marker 4, which is
      3 kilometers north along the beach from the spot where you come out onto the
      beach from Army Road. It was seen between markers 3 and 4, later in the
      afternoon by Brad Schram, Jon Dunn, Brian Daniels, Tom Edell, Mike Stiles
      and others, who got photos. To get to Army Road take Los Osos Valley Road
      west from 101, through San Luis Obispo, through Los Osos, and take the left
      hand turn onto Pecho Valley Road (the road to Montana de Oro Sate Park).
      Proceed south and uphill on Pecho Valley for a short distance and at the
      second dirt road to the right (no marker), where there is a bunch of
      mailboxes, park in the dirt pullout surrounded by coastal scrub. Walk down
      the sandy trail (not much of a road anymore and gated to prevent
      vehicles) about a mile to the beach and proceed north on the beach till
      you get to where the bird was feeding at the ocean shoreline. Marbled
      Godwits were around it and Long-billed Curlews were higher up on the beach.
      A number of birders are meeting at the pullout along Pech Valley Road at
      7:30 AM in the morning tomorrow, Sunday. Also of some local interest was a
      Ruddy Turnstone on the beach in the same general area.

      This morning at about 7:00 AM I had a juvi. Semipalmated Sandpiper along the
      edge of the bay from the north end of Pech Road in Los Osos, in a flock of
      about 80 peeps.

      Jim Royer
      Los Osos, CA