Re: [CALBIRDS] Collared vs. Mourning Doves, a bit of data

  • erpfromca@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 19 4:32 PM
      More in the 'for what its worth' category... I have looked at long term
      trends for Mourning Doves (and short term for Eurasian Collared-Doves) from 24
      Central Valley CBCs. Mourning Dove numbers (per party hour) have shown a
      steady increase over the past two decades. No sign (yet) of any impacts from
      Collared-Doves. The past 3 years' numbers are pretty much right on the
      long term trendline. Of course, although the increase in numbers and range
      expansion of Collared-Doves in the CV has been phenomenal, overall numbers are
      still low and it has only been in the past 3 years that the range and
      numbers have become really notable in the CV. Therefore, given the more
      localized nature of Collared-Doves (as Al notes) and still small overall
      population it is way too early to draw any conclusions about impacts on Mourning
      Dove numbers. With a few more years of data and a focus on a handful of CBC
      circles where Collared-Dove numbers are substantial, we might start to see
      some effects.

      Ed Pandolfino
      Carmichael, CA