Re: [CALBIRDS] Eurasian Collared-Doves and hunting

  • Steve Hampton
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 19 10:27 AM
      All,

      Let me clarify that I'm just a messenger here and am not involved with DFG hunting regs or dove management in anyway (and I don't even know who is).

      From a birder's perspective, I agree with Alvaro that this should be studied. Based on my observations here in the southern Sacramento Valley, I'm not convinced that EUCD are impacting Mourning Doves-- but I have no data to support that. EUCD seem to prefer the drier edges of the valley here, against the western and eastern foothills, and are still hard to find near the Sacramento River in the middle of the valley. And, yes, they seem to be associated with tall trees at homesteads, towns, etc.

      In winter, they form flocks of up to 75+ birds.

      Steve Hampton
      ________________
      Resource Economist
      Office of Spill Prevention and Response
      California Dept of Fish and Game
      PO Box 944209
      Sacramento, CA 94244-2090
      -----------------------------------
      (916) 323-4724 phone
      (916) 324-8829 fax

      >>> Nick & Mary Freeman <mnfreeman@...> 8/19/2010 10:26 AM >>>
      Hi Steve & Alvaro & Birders

      I work in the foothills of Pasadena, CA, JPL, about 1400' in
      elevation. For the past two years, I've monitored Eurasian Collared-
      Dove that have been visiting the facility. So far, only three have
      visited the area. I thought for sure they'd populate the site, so
      far it's not happened. Band-tailed Pigeons are very common than the
      Mourning Doves at this location. Back in June, we spent a weekend in
      the southern Sierra (about 6800' in elevation) near Bakersfield, CA,
      and the Mourning Dove numbers were incredibly high with a few
      sightings of Band-taileds. We just led a trip to the Salton Sea,
      whether it's a seasonal occurrence, I'm not sure but we had a few
      Mourning Doves with the collared-doves being abundant , mainly around
      ranch or farm sites. I've wondered how much the Eurasian Collared-
      Dove is affecting the Mourning Dove population as well. Here in
      Glendale, we've not detected them but it's not to say they have not
      invaded the area.

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 19 11:00 AM
        I was under the impression that invasive spp. birds were not protected
        and thus there was basically and open season on them--I realize CA
        different from ND but,... :-)

        On 8/19/2010 11:55 AM, Alvaro Jaramillo wrote:

        > Thanks Steve,
        >
        > I am amazed that Fish and Game say "they do not seem to be gaining an
        > advantage over native species." I would have been much more comfortable
        > with, "we do not know.." Subjectively speaking here in my neck of the
        > woods
        > Mourning Doves are less common now than when the Collared Dove arrived;
        > however Collared Doves are much more local in their distribution
        > preferring
        > towns and farm buildings, rather than open fields, and less disturbed
        > sites.
        > In these places there are as many Mourning Doves as there have ever
        > been. I
        > would not be surprised if at the small scale Collareds are really
        > hammering
        > Mournings, but at the global scale there is no real threat to Mourning
        > Doves. Subjectively speaking, but it would be great for someone to do a
        > study.
        >
        > Alvaro
        >
        > Alvaro Jaramillo
        >
        > chucao@... <mailto:chucao%40coastside.net>
        >
        > Half Moon Bay, California
        >
        > Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
        >
        > www.fieldguides.com
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: CALBIRDS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:CALBIRDS%40yahoogroups.com>

        Rick Holbrook
        Fargo, ND
        N 46°53'251"
        W 096°48'279"

        Remember the USS Liberty
        http://www.ussliberty.org/

        Reply to: fholbrook(at)cableone.net

      • Ken Burton
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 19 11:04 AM
          In the For-What-It's-Worth Department, Mourning Dove does show a
          significant decline on BBS routes in California from 1966-2007. There
          was a non-significant decline from 1980-2007 after a non-significant
          increase from 1966-1979. Of course, it would be foolish to blame this
          on collared-doves, which weren't even around during most of the
          "decline," but it would be equally foolish to say off-handedly that
          mourning doves are doing fine.

          Coincidentally, I'm writing an article on the collared-dove in which I
          call for studies of its interactions with and impacts on native species.
          One piece of information I haven't been able to sleuth out is an
          explanation of the specific name, decaocto. "Ten-eight"? Doesn't make
          much sense to me. Can anyone elucidate?

          Thanks.

          Ken Burton
          Arcata

          > I am amazed that Fish and Game say "they do not seem to be gaining
          > an
          > advantage over native species." I would have been much more
          > comfortable
          > with, "we do not know.." Subjectively speaking here in my neck of the
          > woods
          > Mourning Doves are less common now than when the Collared Dove
          > arrived;
          > however Collared Doves are much more local in their distribution
          > preferring
          > towns and farm buildings, rather than open fields, and less disturbed
          > sites.
          > In these places there are as many Mourning Doves as there have ever
          > been. I
          > would not be surprised if at the small scale Collareds are really
          > hammering
          > Mournings, but at the global scale there is no real threat to Mourning
          > Doves. Subjectively speaking, but it would be great for someone to do
          > study.
          >

          > Alvaro
          >

          > Alvaro Jaramillo
          >
          > chucao@...
          >
          > Half Moon Bay, California
          >

          > Field Guides - Birding Tours Worldwide
          >
          > www.fieldguides.com
          >
          > _____

        • Kimball Garrett
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 19 11:37 AM
            Ken et al.,

            I could say they're named decaocto because they're so ten-eight-ious,
            but Jobling, in A Dictionary of Scientifc Bird Names, says:
            "Decaocto L. dec-, ten; octo, eight. Greek myth. A hard-worked
            maidservant, bemoaning her pay of miserly 18 piece a year, prayed for
            release and was changed by the gods into a dove that echoed her mournful
            cries." [Little did she know she would take over the world!]

            Apropos of Steve's comment about hunting, I would encourage whatever
            small percentage of you on this listserve who are also dove hunters, to
            check with your local museum/university bird collection to see if they
            want you to bag a few (with full data) for science. Developing a decent
            series individuals from recently colonizing species can have great value
            in population genetics, evolutionary studies of morphological
            adaptation, etc. We probably still lack specimens of ECDove from most
            California counties.

            Kimball

            Kimball L. Garrett
            Ornithology Collections Manager