PYRRHULOXIA in Imperial County

  • Barbara
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2010
      I received a phone call early this morning (Monday) from Guy McCaskie that he had just found a female PYRRHULOXIA along the New River just sw. of Brawley, in Imperial County. The site is the area along the river near the intersection of Carter and Fites (he said the road sign for Fites may be down!), where one looks for Crissal Thrasher and migrants. It is mostly mesquite, with a handful of remaining, sometimes burned, cottonwoods and palms. The river and vegetation here run in a NE-SW direction, and he had the bird at the more southwestern end of this stretch. In other words, NOT the end closer to Brawley or where the beehives are. If you don't know this area, it is sort of hard to explain! You might need to contact someone who
      has been there. Guy said the bird responded to Crissal Thrasher tape. He also had several Lucy's Warblers there. Yesterday, he had an adult
      Semipalmated Sandpiper at the end of Bowles, but nothing else new of note that hadn't been reported by others over the past couple days around the south end of the Salton Sea.

      --Paul Lehman, San Diego