Audubon Societies at IRS Exemption RISK!!!!

  • wagtail1997
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 4, 2010
      News is circulating among genealogy groups, but Audubon chapters and other non-profits should be also be aware, that the IRS is involved in a process of dropping tax-exempt status from non-profits who haven't filled out the necessary paperwork.

      A list of California at risk organizations can be seen at:
      http://www.irs.gov/charities/article/0,,id=225889,00.html
      Choose California from the table.

      I searched the California file for the term "Audubon" and found 5 (small?) Audubon chapters that are on the list. (Sea and Sage Audubon is NOT one of them, my locals rest assured).

      If you are a member of a California non-profit (and who isn,t), I ask you to look over the California list, and if you find your organization on it, make sure the proper person in your organization does something to remedy the situation.

      Joel Weintraub
      Dana Point, CA
    • Chuck & Lillian
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 5, 2010
        To all:

        I scanned the Excel spreadsheet option on the link below and found the following.

        Under "Audubon"
        Coachella Valley Audubon Society Corporation
        Lake Tahoe Audubon Society
        Palos Verdes Penninsula Audubon
        Plumas Audubon Society
        Tulare County Audubon Society Inc.

        Under "Ornith"
        NEW INSTITUTE OF ASIAN ORNITHOLOGY SAN FRANCISCO

        Under "Bird"
        BIRD ASSOCIATION OF CALIFORNIA-5- BAY AREA OAKLAND
        BIRDS OF PREY PRESERVATION PROGRAM SANTA BARBARA
        BLUEBIRD FOUNDATIONS J H CAROL CPA NEWPORT BEACH
        CAPITOL CITY BIRD SOCIETY CITRUS HTS
        COVENTRY COMPANION BIRD SURIVAL CENTER REDDING
        EAST SAN GABRIEL VALLEY BIRD SOCIETY GLENDORA
        HEMET VALLEY BIRD SOCIETY SAN JACINTO
        HI DESERT BIRD CLUB LUCERNE VLY
        HUMMINGBIRD FAMILY RESOURCE CENTER INC TECOPA
        HUMMINGBIRD FOUNDATION BEVERLY HILLS
        LITTLE BIRDS OF SAN DIEGO LA MESA
        SONGBIRD CARE AND EDUCATION CENTER FOUNTAIN VLY
        SONGBIRD FOUNDATION INC ENCINO
        WORLD FAMILY OF BLUEBIRD MONTEBELLO

        Perhaps someone connected in any way with those organizations might let them know they're teetering on the brink of extinction.

        yours,
        Chuck Almdale
        North Hills, Ca