Bar-tailed Godwit in San Diego County

  • Doug
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 3, 2010
      This morning on the beach at Imperial Beach, Tom Blackman and Mike Goldhammer found a male Bar-tailed Godwit feeding with a small flock of Marbled Godwits and a Willet.

      The bird was near the northern jetty bordering the YMCA "Camp Surf" for the most part. Take I-5 south to Palm Ave in Imperial Beach, head west until it dead ends at Seacoast Blvd. Turn right and go about 200 yards. The street takes a right, and another street (no entrance) is on the left. Park here and walk to the beach. Upon hitting the beach, you will see two jetty's. The bird was found at the northern jetty, but also flew south to the southern jetty at one point.

      Good Luck,

      Doug Aguillard
      San Diego, CA
      doug@...
    • Joseph Morlan
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 3, 2010
        On Tue, 03 Aug 2010 19:49:09 -0000, "Doug" <dwaguillard@...> wrote:

        >This morning on the beach at Imperial Beach, Tom Blackman and Mike Goldhammer found a male Bar-tailed Godwit feeding with a small flock of Marbled Godwits and a Willet.
        >
        >The bird was near the northern jetty bordering the YMCA "Camp Surf" for the most part. Take I-5 south to Palm Ave in Imperial Beach, head west until it dead ends at Seacoast Blvd. Turn right and go about 200 yards. The street takes a right, and another street (no entrance) is on the left. Park here and walk to the beach. Upon hitting the beach, you will see two jetty's. The bird was found at the northern jetty, but also flew south to the southern jetty at one point.

        Thanks to a contribution from Doug Aguillard, a photo of this bird can be
        seen at:

        http://www.westernfieldornithologists.org/

        Click through for full-sized image.

        Enjoy!
        --
        Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
        SF Birding Classes start Sep 14 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/