July 31 trips sold out - Upcoming trips

  • Todd
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 28, 2010
      Birders:

      The Los Angeles Audubon July 31st Condor Express Deep Water Pelagic from Santa Barbara as well as Shearwater Journeys Half Moon Bay trip are both completely sold out. Both trips were booking well, but the announcement that thousands of Cook's Petrels and a "Dark-rumped" Petrel were at the Davidson Seamount this week has generated more interest in the trips.

      While no additional birders will be able to particpate this weekend, the good news is that there are quite a few upcoming trips that offer a good chance to see Cook's Petrels as well as other rarities. I will outline them in chronological order:

      Shearwater Journeys:

      August 11 Cordell Bank Trip - A few spots remain on this trip. Cordell Bank and Bodega Canyon are two of the best seabird locations anywhere on the west coast. Summer rarities have included Shy and Short-tailed Albatrosses, Cook's, Hawaiian, and Great-winged Petrels. Almost any seabird possible in Northern CA has shown up here, and mid-August is a peak time to be out looking. Outside of Ft Bragg, this is the best location to look for Hawaiian Petrels. Cost is $189 and the trip meets at Bodega Harbor at 630AM. See Debi's contact information below.

      August 13,15 Ft Bragg - spots remain. I have seen 2 Hawaiian and 2 Murphy's Petrels(spring) in fewer than 6 trips out of Ft Bragg. All of these petrels were within 10 miles of the coast. Other summer rarities have included Shy Albatross, Streaked and Manx Shearwaters and Yellow-billed Loon. Ft Bragg trips record Hawaiian Petrels in August about every other year, perhaps a bit more, which is remarkable considering Debi usually runs just a couple of trips each August. recent satellite tracking data indicates that Hawaiian Petrels regularly occur in this area of the Pacific. Interestingly, the Mendocino coast is closer to Hawaii then San Diego is, perhaps explaining part of the reason this species chooses to forage here. Cook's may also be seen on these trips, as there is relatively deep water close to shore, and good upwelling features. It would not surprise me if the next CA mega-seabird showed up here. I will be one of Debi's leaders on these two trips and hope to see some of you onboard. Cost is $189 and we meet at 630AM at Noyo Harbor.

      Debi has trips through the middle of October this fall, and while I don't know how long the Cook's will last, fall is time for large numbers of migrant seabirds, and a great time for rare shearwaters and storm-petrels.

      For any of the trips listed above e-mail Debi at debi@.... Her website Shearwaterjourneys.com has a full schedule of Debi's trips as well as all the logistical information needed.

      Buena Vista Audubon

      Aug 16-18 The Buena Vista Audubon is offering a 48 pelagic from San Diego on the Grande. A 56 hour trip in May produced 170 Cook's Petrels. Red-billed Tropicbird has never been missed on a 48 hour Grande trip, and this species appears to be present in moderate numbers off SoCal this year. This is a great time to look for Leach's storm-petrel subspecies, Least Storm-petrel and Craveri's Murrelet. Small numbers of Leasts have been reported nearshore already this year. It is just a matter of time before this trip produces another great record. Grande is a comfortable 85 ft boat, which carries about 42 leaders and passengers. Plenty or room to move around. Sleeping is in a dormitory style bunk room below deck. Hot food and beverages are available for purchase. details are below:

      Just a few spots remain so act now if you are interested.

      Arrival Time: 6:00 a.m.
      Boarding Time: 6:30 a.m.
      Departure Time: 7:00 a.m. sharp
      Return: 7:00 a.m. Wednesday

      ADVANCE RESERVATIONS: Advance reservations are $325, discounted to $285 if registered by July 31.
      RESERVATIONS BY PHONE (Check or Credit Card): Telephone Point Loma Sportfishing (the landing) seven days a week
      at (619) 223-1627. Tell them to wish to make a reservation for a birding trip on Grande and give them the date of departure

      There are numerous other trips out of Southern CA visit www.socalbirding.com for a full listing.

      Searcher Natural History Tours Labor Day Pelagic

      This 5 day trip departs San Diego about Noon on Sept 6 returning Friday Sept 10th in the early AM (about 7). Comfortable staterooms, gourmet meals, and a trip through all of the lifezones of the Southern CA bight are just a couple of the things that make this trip a winner. Least Storm-petrel and Red-billed Tropicbird are expected, along with almost all the regularly occurring seabirds in Southern CA. September trip rarities have included Red-tailed Tropicbird, Bulwer's, Hawaiian, Cook's and Murphy's Petrels. 3 subspecies of Leach's storm-Petrels
      plus Black and Ashy make this a great Storm-petrel study tour.

      I love waking up at dawn far out to sea, watching the sunset over the San Juan Seamount, and getting to yell out those rare birds while nibbling a warm chocolate chip cookie. It doesn't get any better than that. Searcher is a 95ft vessel designed to do multi-week Fishing and natural hsitory tours in comfort. The crew from the Captains to the deckhands are accomodating and helpful. There is no trip I look forward to more each fall, and I hope you can join us. This trip typically is sold out by now, but this year there are still some spots. Cost for this trip includes all food and beverages (basically the trip includes everything but a tip for the crew). Contact info below:

      ADVANCE RESERVATIONS: Advance reservations are $1075 and include all meals, snacks, beverages. Reservations for this trip are handled by Searcher Natural History Tours (619) 226-2403 or the Searcher Natural History Tours website

      2010 has already been a banner year, and the season is just getting started. Book your fall trips today, as I expect many will sell out.

      Good Seabirding!

      Todd McGrath
      SKUA@...
      Calabasas CA