Fw: [sbcobirding] Black Vulture leaving roost this a.m. at 10:30

  • Dave Compton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
      This o

      --- On Mon, 7/26/10, Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...> wrote:

      From: Joan Lentz <joanlentz@...>
      Subject: [sbcobirding] Black Vulture leaving roost this a.m. at 10:30
      To: "sbcobirding" <sbcobirding@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Monday, July 26, 2010, 12:17 PM

          Hi All:
              I wanted to show the Black Vulture to Marilyn, so we thought we'd
      head out towards the eucs. that grow on the south side of the freeway,
      directly across from Camino Real between Winchester Canyon Rd. and Farren
              Here's what we did:  going north exit at Winchester Cyn. Rd. &
      follow Calle Real straight ahead.  Go past the traffic control stuff
      (another stop sign) and at about .25 mi. past this, you'll see a little
      service road off Calle Real on your right ( a sign says 8200 Calle Real).
      It's just a driveway where one car can pull off.
              Across the freeway, we could see about a dozen TVs perched in the
      tops of the eucs.  This was around 9:45 a.m.  We got out the scope & waited
      for half an hour, but nothing was really popping.   The birds just sat there
      & only TVs were visible.
              So, we decided to park our car at the bottom of Farren Rd. & start
      walking up it, hoping the vultures would get up & fly over.  Well, we should
      have waited another 15 mins., because at 10:30 a kettle of about 25 TVs
      arose up into the air & WE SAW THE BLACK VULTURE!  We were looking back east
      from about halfway up the steep part of Farren Rd., & we saw all the TVs
      circling right above the patch of eucs. where we'd been looking earlier.
      And yes, it was a distant view, but the bird's shape is unmistakable even
      from far away.  It also flaps more than a TV, has almost a tail-less
      appearance from a distance, and really fat wings.
              My suggestion would be to go to that place along Calle Real & wait
      there for the roost to fly out.  Obviously, I think they might "get up"
      earlier in the day if it weren't so cold and damp, like it was this morning.
              Good luck!

          Joan Lentz
          Santa Barbara

      . Yahoo! Groups Links