Mike San Miguel

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17, 2010
      I have some video clips of Mike San Miguel on the Condor Express. I'm creating a video tribute and memorial to Mike and it would be enhanced by some additional photos. Some of Mikes close friends have already sent me their favorite photos of Mike. If you have any photos of Mike that you would like to share in the tribute, please email them to thunefeld@...

      Peace on earth.

      Terry

      ---

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole and Mike San Miguel
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf
    • Tom Ryan
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
        To me, Mike was a role model in so many ways. One thing that speaks well of
        Mike is that there are many of us in my generation who can say the same. I
        had known Mike through acquaintances and birding for a number of years. Mike
        and I became friends when he came to me to assist him with crafting a letter
        to the LA County and the Army Corps over destruction of least Bell�s vireo
        habitat during maintenance activities. I helped him integrate his
        observations with environmental regulations that protect the vireos and
        their habitat. This spring and summer, I have observed least Bell�s vireos,
        as well as yellow-breasted chats and other riparian birds in new areas and
        in higher densities in existing patches of riparian habitat that I believe
        are a direct result of his efforts and many battles over the years.

        The last time I saw him in the field was at Bonelli Park looking at a wood
        stork. He was staring into his scope and I jokingly walked up behind him and
        asked, �sir, what are you looking at?� As was typical of Mike, not looking
        up, and not knowing who I was, he began to describe the wood stork and why
        it was interesting to what he thought was a complete stranger. He finally
        looked up and chuckled at me. That was Mike, always a great ambassador for
        birding and conservation.

        He and Gayle became good friends to me and my family. When my wife Yelitza
        immigrated to the US, we visited with him and Gayle. At the time, her
        English was very limited. They made her feel at home, then he broke out the
        champagne and her English improved ten-fold after two glasses. They made her
        feel comfortable and confident in her new surroundings. Then last year, I
        brought my 2-year old daughter to his house and she learned the joy of
        watching dozens (it was a slow day) of hummingbirds buzzing around her head.

        Finally, I would like to thank Jon Feenstra. I cannot imagine what he must
        have gone through that night. As I have read and heard, his actions during
        the situation and the following morning were heroic. I am sure his presence
        gave tremendous comfort to Mike. More heroic and brave was immediately going
        to see Gayle and Mike�s children after he got off the mountain that morning.
        All I can say is thank you and that I wish I could help lessen the sadness.
        I know Mike would have been proud of your actions.

        Tom Ryan

        Monrovia, CA