Mike San Miguel

  • Hank Brodkin
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 7:59 AM
      I can recall the first time I met Mike in the late 60's at a lake in the
      eastern part of L.A. county looking for a rare waterfowl that had been
      reported. I forget which bird was there, but I do recall my conversation
      with Mike.
      He had been an active birder, he said, but for the time being he was
      concentrating on being a father to his children, Mike Jr. and I believe a
      sister- but I could be wrong. Those of us who have felt the all-consuming
      attraction of birding can but envy, with a twinge of guilt, Mike's attitude.
      His birding then consisting mainly of banding in his backyard. As his
      children matured Mike became again active - probably one of the most active
      birders , in southern California, with an increasing interest in the
      science of ornithology.
      Switch forward to 1998. We had just moved to our current home in Hereford,
      Arizona. Mike, now a friend of many years, was instructing a MAPS banding
      class in our area, and he stayed at our house. My wife and I had in the
      meantime developed an interest in butterflies that now rival our interest in
      birding. Mike seemed to us to consider butterflying a waste of time, just a
      distraction from the serious avocation of birding. So you can imagine my
      surprise when he asked me to take him to Ft. Huachuca to look at
      butterflies. We had a fantastic day that yielded some 52 species - the
      great majority of which were "lifers" for Mike. He was really stoked!!
      But he made me promise not to tell any of our mutual birding friends that he
      was secretly interested in butterflies also. I don't think he would mind my
      sharing this now.
      Mike Jr and all of Mike's birding friends, most of whom I have known through
      the years - Priscilla and I share your sorrow at this most unfortunate and
      untimely accident.

      Hank Brodkin
      Carr Canyon, Cochise County, AZ
      31°26’59.8”N 110°16’02.8”W
      hbrodkin@...
      "Butterflies of Arizona - a Photographic Guide"
      "Finding Butterflies in Arizona - a Guide to the Best Sites"
      http://members.cox.net/hbrodkin/

    • thunefeld
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 10:41 AM
        I have some video clips of Mike San Miguel on the Condor Express. I'm creating a video tribute and memorial to Mike and it would be enhanced by some additional photos. Some of Mikes close friends have already sent me their favorite photos of Mike. If you have any photos of Mike that you would like to share in the tribute, please email them to thunefeld@...

        Peace on earth.

        Terry

        ---

        W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
        Life is short. Seabird often.
        In memory of Luke Cole and Mike San Miguel
        "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

        Southern California Seabirding Trips
        by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
        http://www.SoCalBirding.com
        Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
        all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf
      • Tom Ryan
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18 10:17 AM
          To me, Mike was a role model in so many ways. One thing that speaks well of
          Mike is that there are many of us in my generation who can say the same. I
          had known Mike through acquaintances and birding for a number of years. Mike
          and I became friends when he came to me to assist him with crafting a letter
          to the LA County and the Army Corps over destruction of least Bell�s vireo
          habitat during maintenance activities. I helped him integrate his
          observations with environmental regulations that protect the vireos and
          their habitat. This spring and summer, I have observed least Bell�s vireos,
          as well as yellow-breasted chats and other riparian birds in new areas and
          in higher densities in existing patches of riparian habitat that I believe
          are a direct result of his efforts and many battles over the years.

          The last time I saw him in the field was at Bonelli Park looking at a wood
          stork. He was staring into his scope and I jokingly walked up behind him and
          asked, �sir, what are you looking at?� As was typical of Mike, not looking
          up, and not knowing who I was, he began to describe the wood stork and why
          it was interesting to what he thought was a complete stranger. He finally
          looked up and chuckled at me. That was Mike, always a great ambassador for
          birding and conservation.

          He and Gayle became good friends to me and my family. When my wife Yelitza
          immigrated to the US, we visited with him and Gayle. At the time, her
          English was very limited. They made her feel at home, then he broke out the
          champagne and her English improved ten-fold after two glasses. They made her
          feel comfortable and confident in her new surroundings. Then last year, I
          brought my 2-year old daughter to his house and she learned the joy of
          watching dozens (it was a slow day) of hummingbirds buzzing around her head.

          Finally, I would like to thank Jon Feenstra. I cannot imagine what he must
          have gone through that night. As I have read and heard, his actions during
          the situation and the following morning were heroic. I am sure his presence
          gave tremendous comfort to Mike. More heroic and brave was immediately going
          to see Gayle and Mike�s children after he got off the mountain that morning.
          All I can say is thank you and that I wish I could help lessen the sadness.
          I know Mike would have been proud of your actions.

          Tom Ryan

          Monrovia, CA