A note on Mike's role in Nevada birding

  • martin@sierrabirdbum.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 16, 2010
      The outpouring of genuine affection and admiration for Mike San Miguel
      from so many of you has been wonderful to observe, and provides at least
      a small counterpoint to the overwhelming sadness of losing this great
      friend and birding companion.

      I wanted to add a note on Mike's contributions to the Nevada birding
      world. Mike was always enthusiastic about his frequent visits to Nevada
      over several decades, and he contributed many great records for the
      state. I have lots of fond memories of sharing wonderful bird sightings
      with him. Perhaps my favorite was of a furtive little Le Conte's Sparrow
      creeping around on the lawn at Miller's Rest Stop near Tonopah, with
      Mike, Jim Pike (who first spotted the bird), Ted Floyd, Greg Scyphers,
      and me creeping along behind.

      Mike served multiple terms on the Nevada Bird Records Committee and was
      still an active member at the time of this tragic accident. I assumed
      the position of secretary of the NBRC in 2007, and I'm honestly not sure
      how I would have managed in that role without the strong guidance,
      advice, and support Mike provided. His earlier service on the
      California committee and his many years of leadership in the California
      birding world made him the perfect mentor, and I relied on him at every
      turn.

      I am still finding it incredibly hard (and heartbreaking) to think about
      showing up at the dock in Santa Barbara a couple of weeks from now and
      not having Mike's smiling face there to greet me.

      My condolences to his family and to all of his countless friends and
      admirers.

      Martin

      Martin Meyers
      email: Martin (...AT...) SierraBirdbum.com
      Photo website: http://SierraBirdbum.com
      Truckee, CA