Re: [CALBIRDS] Tragic news

  • Steve Glover
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2010
      Hi all,

      I didn't know Mike really well and I really only ran into him a couple times a year when a rare bird was found but I can say one thing that must have been immediately obvious to everyone as soon as they met Mike: He was as a stunningly nice person.

      The lesson for me here is one that I have learned before. The last time I saw Mike was in Richmond during a WFO convention a couple of years ago. Emilie Strauss had found a Dusky Warbler the day before and 25 or so of us were doing the usual "Has anyone seen the bird? No? Oh, dear, that is unfortunate. What a waste of time driving all the way to a bird that has long since fled the area." And I left that day thinking exactly that.

      Now I realize that that day was the last time I would see Mike. We walked and chatted for about a half hour to add a few birds to his Contra Costa list. He was his usual genial self and we had a nice conservation. And then I got in my car and drove to work, annoyed that I had missed such a great county bird. If I look at my notes from that day they probably don't even include seeing Mike that day. Or John Luther. Or Jim Lomax. Or Kristie Nelson...

      My condolences to Kimball, Jon, Todd and all of the other birders who were lucky to spend a lot of time with Mike and get to know him better. And, of course, to Mike Jr. Your dad was a hell of a man.

      Steve Glover
      Keller, TX

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2010
        I did not know Mike very well, but he was always the consumate friend. We met many times over the years, usually when a rare bird occurred, but several times on pelagic trips, Christmas Bird counts on the Palos Verde Peninsula, and Huntington Central Park. What a loss, I cannot belive such a wonderful guy is gone. I will never forget the article he wrote about returning from a birding trip when the earthquake occurred and destroyed the I-5 interchange with CA rte 14. It was a chilling reminder of the realties of life. I will miss you friend.  ..   Curt Johnson

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 16, 2010
          Horrible news indeed. Mike was 70, but put 140 years into birding and conservation, he was a stellar guy, he knew how and when to voice an opinion and not (sometimes). I knew Mike well in the 70's/early 80s, we would push Lou Hasting's van (VW) in the snow around Holcomb Valley on the Big Bear CBC simply trying see a RBNH. I had an opportunity to band sparrows with him and David Foster at Whittier Narrows in the early 70s, and on occasion Dr. Charlie Collins would help, it was a magical time. Mike was someone that always asked or demanded a resolve to a question which made us all think, and yes (Mike) raised all of us to a point to question and study. In later years we crossed paths regarding bird collecting but always made up sharing the passion for birds and conservation. My heart goes to Mike's family, I really can't express my sorrow enough. Mike's outside field family was built on trust and good will, he was an impressive gentleman, he is at rest for he conquered the nobility of life. And as Mike said on our venture into Holcomb, "where is the dam nuthatch ?" Rest well Mike.

          Bob McKernan
          SBCM

          To: Calbirds@yahoogroups.com