Boobies, tropicbirds, krill, Hawaiian Petrels and Craveri's Murrelet

  • thunefeld
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2010
      Greetings,

      Wednesday July 7, 2010, found Dave Povey, Peter Ginsburg, Tom Blackman and Terry Hunefeld motoring out to the Nine Mile Bank. Up on the "bank" we encountered enormous "bait boils" of small fish gorging on millions and millions of krill, tiny crustaceans that are savored by baleen whales, Cassin's Auklets and bait fish. We released a Black-footed Albatross on behalf of Project Wildlife, but it couldn't get it's feathers aligned so we brought it back for more rehab. We encountered close Blue Whales (probably 2) and Minke Whales (probably 3), a record high count of 54 Brown Boobies and an American Oystercatcher on the Coronados Islands and krill – lots and lots of krill. All this was faithfully documented in photos and video by Tom, Terry and Dave.
      http://www.socalbirding.com/tripreports/sandiegojuly72010.html

      Next up from San Diego: Paul Lehman, Steve Howell, Jon Feenstra et. al. lead an overnight trip for Buena Vista Audubon Society Aug 16-17 looking for tropicbirds, Craveri's Murrelet, Hawaiian and Cook's Petrel and multiple species of storm-petrels including Least, Ashy, Black and 3 subspecies of Leach's. This trip has reached the necessary sign-ups and is a for sure "GO" - there are still some bunks left. Read all about it at:
      http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/sandiegoaug16182010.html

      The week of Labor Day the annual Fall Migration Mercedes-Benz of Pelagic Adventures departs San Diego aboard SEARCHER, the luxurious live-aboard that has an enviable record of September sightings. SEARCHER will spend Monday noon – Friday morning in the waters of the Channel Islands, the Continental Shelf Edge and down to the Mexican border (in ABA waters all the way). Read the trip lists and details at: http://www.socalbirding.com/trips/searchersep6102010.html

      Dave Povey just went fishing aboard SEARCHER. Read about his experience here:
      p.s. forgive the typo in the SDBirds post, it was multiple Red-BILLED Tropicbirds.

      W. Terry Hunefeld, Encinitas
      Life is short. Seabird often.
      In memory of Luke Cole
      "Come on out with us to see what's out there."

      Southern California Seabirding Trips
      by: Buena Vista Audubon Society
      http://www.SoCalBirding.com
      Los Coronados Islands & Nine Mile Bank
      all the way to the edge of the Continental Shelf