Red-necked Stint in San Luis Obispo County

  • Nick & Mary Freeman
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2010
      Hi Birders

      My friend brought this report to my attention and the report appears
      to have not made it to Calbirds so here it is.

      Mary Freeman
      Glendale, CA

      Subject: Red-necked Stint, Morro Bay, July 10
      From: William Bouton <bbouton AT charter.net>
      Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 21:39:49 -0700
      At 6:00 pm today, Saturday July 10, during my fourth (and again
      unsuccessful)
      search for the Stilt Sandpiper that had been observed by birders the
      previous
      two days, I came up with a "consolation prize": a gorgeous, orange-
      red, adult,
      alternate-plumaged Red-necked Stint.

      This bird was observed over a period of just under an hour, and by
      several
      birders in addition to me. It foraged on small muddy areas of the
      Morro Bay
      Estuary that are adjacent to South Bay Boulevard. This spot is across
      from, and
      approximately 100 yards north of, where Turri Road intersects with
      South Bay
      Boulevard.

      The Stilt Sandpiper was not seen.

      Two Black Skimmers were noted flying across the open water of the
      estuary.

      Bill Bouton
      Bill Bouton
      San Luis Obispo, CA 93401 USA