Fw: Mountain Plover Proposed Listing

  • Gjon_Hazard@fws.gov
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 6, 2010
      (sorry for cross-posting)

      FYI -- forwarding, as requested.

      For those lists that do not allow attachments, see internet links (URLs)
      below, which, I believe, have links to the same info -- at least they have
      links to the basic info you'll need to respond.

      Please do not reply to me, see below for details.

      Thank you.

      Cheers,
      -Gj

      ====================================
      Gjon C. Hazard
      Fish and Wildlife Biologist
      Carlsbad Fish and Wildlife Office
      6010 Hidden Valley Road, Suite 101
      Carlsbad, CA 92011 USA
      Voice: 760/431-9440x287
      FAX: 760/918-0638
      E-mail: Gjon_Hazard<.at.>fws.gov
      http://carlsbad.fws.gov/
      ====================================

      ----- Forwarded by Gjon Hazard/CFWO/R1/FWS/DOI on 07/06/2010 01:10 PM -----

      Ellen
      McBride/R8/FWS/DO
      I To

      07/06/2010 12:17 cc
      PM
      Subject
      Mountain Plover Proposed Listing

      Please see the attached news release below regarding the proposed listing
      of Mountain Plover and request for scientific information with contact
      information provided. Please forward to any colleagues, individuals, or
      groups that might have data to benefit this effort. We want to ensure that
      we reach as many contacts as possible.

      Best,
      Ellen

      NEWS RELEASE

      U.S. FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE
      Mountain-Prairie Region
      134 Union Boulevard
      Lakewood, Colorado 80228

      Contacts: Susan Linner 303-236-4773
      For Release on June 28, 2010 Diane Katzenberger
      303-236-4578

      Mountain Plover Proposed for Listing as a Threatened Species
      Scientific Information Will Be Accepted Until August 30, 2010

      The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is reinstating a proposal to list the
      mountain plover, a native bird of short-grass prairie and shrub-steppe
      landscapes, as a threatened species under the Endangered Species Act. The
      Service also requests the public to provide scientific information
      regarding the reinstated proposal and the newly available information
      regarding the status of the mountain plover.

      Mountain plovers breed in the western Great Plains and Rocky Mountain
      States from the Canadian border to northern Mexico. Within the United
      States, most breeding occurs in Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado; fewer
      breeding birds occur in Kansas, Nebraska, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas, and
      Utah.

      Mountain plovers winter in California, southern Arizona, Texas and Mexico.
      While California’s Sacramento, San Joaquin, and Imperial Valleys are
      believed to support the greatest number of wintering mountain plovers,
      relatively little is known about their winter range use in other areas.
      Unlike other plovers, mountain plovers are not found near water, and will
      only inhabit areas with short grass or bare ground.

      The Service originally proposed the listing of the mountain plover in
      December 2002. The 2002 proposal also included a proposed special rule
      exempting specified farming practices in certain parts of the mountain
      plover’s breeding range from Endangered Species Act prohibitions while
      research was being conducted regarding the conservation of the species on
      farmed lands. Subsequently, the Service withdrew the listing proposal in
      September 2003 based on the conclusion that the threats to the mountain
      plover as identified in the proposed rule were not as significant as
      previously believed and that information available at that time did not
      indicate the threats to the mountain plover and its habitat were likely to
      endanger the species in the foreseeable future.

      In November 2006, the Forest Guardians and the Biological Conservation
      Alliance filed a complaint challenging the withdrawal of the proposal to
      list the mountain plover. As part of the settlement agreement, the Service
      agreed to vacate our 2003 withdrawal of the listing proposal and reopen a
      comment period on our 2002 proposal. This notice satisfies that
      requirement. The Service also agreed to submit a final listing decision to
      the Federal Register by May 1, 2011.

      The Service is seeking scientific information regarding the mountain
      plover’s life history, ecology, and habitat use; its range, distribution,
      population size, and population trends; current and potential future
      threats to the mountain plover and its habitat; and positive and negative
      effects of current and potential land management practices that affect
      mountain plover, including conservation efforts.

      Scientific information will be accepted until August 30, 2010 and can be
      submitted electronically via the Federal eRulemaking Portal at:
      http://www.regulations.gov (search the docket for FWS-R6-ES-2010-0038), or
      can be mailed or hand delivered to Public Comments Processing, Attn:
      FWS-R6-ES-2010-0038; Division of Policy and Directives Management; U.S.
      Fish and Wildlife Service, 4401 N. Fairfax Drive, Suite 222; Arlington, VA
      22203.

      Pertinent information received, developed, or analyzed since 2002 is
      available for review at
      http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/birds/mountainplover or by
      contacting the Colorado Ecological Services Field Office Supervisor at
      303-236-4773.

      The Service will evaluate all information regarding the status and
      distribution of the mountain plover, including the impacts or potential
      impacts to the species resulting from either human activities or natural
      causes.

      The mountain plover is a small bird about the size of a killdeer. It is
      light brown above, with a lighter-colored breast, but lacks the contrasting
      dark breastbelt common to many other plovers. During the breeding season,
      it has a white forehead and a dark line between the beak and eye which
      contrasts with the dark crown.

      The mission of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service is working with others to
      conserve, protect and enhance fish, wildlife, plants and their habitats for
      the continuing benefit of the American people. We are both a leader and
      trusted partner in fish and wildlife conservation, known for our scientific
      excellence, stewardship of lands and natural resources, dedicated
      professionals and commitment to public service. For more information on our
      work and the people who make it happen, visit www.fws.gov
      – FWS --

      (See attached file: MtnPlover reproposal nr FINAL.docx)(See attached file:
      MtnPlover ORP FINAL.docx)
      (See attached file: Mt plover map.png)
      "Wildness reminds us what it means to be human, what we are connected to
      rather than what we are separate from." -- Terry Tempest Williams

      Ellen R. McBride, M.S.
      Wildlife Biologist
      U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service
      Endangered Species Division