31 July Condor Express: Pterodromas, storm-petrels and ?

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2010
      Birders,

      As of today there are still plenty of spaces for the 31 July 2010 Condor
      Express pelagic trip out of Santa Barbara, sponsored by Los Angeles
      Audubon. This is another record-setting year for Cook's Petrels and
      we'll be traveling the same waters that had 63 Cook's on 1 May and
      237(!) Cook's on 12 June. We'll be out 12-14 hours, covering about 250
      miles, much of it in deep water that holds promise for Pterodroma
      petrels and other highly pelagic species as well. July Condor Express
      trips in recent years have yielded Craveri's Murrelets and (in 2007) an
      almost-certain Tristram's Storm-Petrel; in addition they present a prime
      opportunity to study variation in Leach's Storm-Petrel (with three or
      more taxa, possibly represent two species, likely to be seen). And for
      normal people (i.e., non-birders) the cetaceans alone would make this
      trip worthwhile.

      See www.socalbirding.com for more information on this and other pelagic
      trips, along with excellent background information and links (including
      a link to the new Southern California Pelagic Page on Facebook).

      Trip leaders will be Dave Compton, Jon Feenstra, Kimball Garrett, Terry
      Hunefeld, Todd McGrath, and Dave Pereksta.
      Cost is $195 credit card or cash. Call Sea Landing in Santa Barbara at
      888-77WHALE [888-779-4253] to reserve your spot. We meet at 6:30AM for
      a 7:00AM departure.

      We're looking forward to a great trip at the end of this month.

      Kimball L. Garrett

      Ornithology Collections Manager

      900 Exposition Blvd.

      Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA