RE: Yellow Rail

  • rdburnett
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
      Hi Folks, I was up yesterday at Willow Lake and heard a/the Yellow Rail at the spot Peter Gaede reported last week. I ran into some birders that were confused about where the bird was so i thought i would clarify Peter's directions a bit. From the Willow Lake campground follow the trail up the NE side of the lake/wetland (actually traveling NW) up above the lake. Approximately 200m above the lake (about 600m from the parking area) and about 200m before the National Park boundary (which denoted by a split rail fence and open gate across the trail) you will find Peter's X made with two sticks (someone has now added an arrow out of sticks as well). From the trail you can hear the rail just about 20m away down in the meadow. It looks like someone has walked out in the meadow here - please protect the meadow, sedge sprites, and rails by keeping out of the meadow. I heard the bird at noon yesterday and numerous other folks have easily heard them at all times of day. Willow Lake is also a great spot for Sora, Virginia Rail, Snipe, Willow Flycatcher, Pileated Woodpecker, and a wide range of other mountain birds. Good luck, Ryan