Two Gray Catbirds on San Bruno Mountain, San Mateo County

  • Joseph Morlan
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 22, 2010
      The two Gray Catbirds continue on San Bruno Mountain; yes there are two
      singing male Gray Catbirds along the Old Guadalupe Trail and both birds
      have apparently been present since Sunday when first found by Herb Brandt.

      We met Herb along the trail late this morning and he pointed out that there
      was a second Gray Catbird about 50 meters along the trail beyond the first
      bird. Just continue east along the paved trail past the isolated clump of
      eucalyptus to the next opening. The second bird was also singing and
      skulking in the yellow flowering acacias and in the low blackberry tangles.
      The second bird was easier to see for us and I managed a distant photo.
      Robbie obtained voice recordings of both birds. Photo and voice recordings
      are at:

      http://fog.ccsf.edu/~jmorlan/newgallery.htm

      Herb says the birds are most cooperative early in the morning, before 10am
      or late in the afternoon after 5pm. Otherwise they tend to hide deep in
      the vegetation.

      Access is easiest from the Crocker Gate in Daly City. Detailed directions
      have been posted at:

      http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl?rm=message;id=368419
      http://www.sialia.com/s/calists.pl?rm=message;id=368399
      --
      Joseph Morlan, Pacifica, CA jmorlan (at) ccsf.edu
      SF Birding Classes start Sep 14 http://fog.ccsf.edu/jmorlan/