Tree nesting Cliff Swallows

  • Kimball Garrett
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 7, 2002
      Birders:

      For a short note (back cover "Featured Photo" for an upcoming
      Western Birds) I am discussing a colony of Cliff Swallows nesting
      on trunks of yellow pines in the Big Bear Valley of the San
      Bernardino Mtns. Such colonies were documented at least as early
      as 1907 (see the nice photo by W. M. Pierce in Dawson's Birds of
      California. At least one group of nesting trees was occupied near
      the sw. shore of Baldwin Lake in the Big Bear Valley as recently
      as 1983. The BNA account by Brown and Brown (1995) mentions no
      other cases of trees used as nest substrates.

      For those who have birded in the Big Bear area in the past 20 years,
      I would appreciate receiving any specific cases of active Cliff
      Swallow colonies on yellow pines there since 1983; does anybody know
      if the Baldwin Lake pine tree colony still exists? (I'm well aware
      that there are several active colonies on artificial substrates in
      the Big Bear Valley). Any useful information will be gratefully
      acknowledged in print.

      Other cases of nest placement on tree trunks away from the San
      Bernardino Mountains are also of interest, but may end up being
      beyond the scope of this short note. I notice no mention of trees
      as nest substrate in the four California counties for which
      published breeding bird atlases exist.

      Thanks,

      Kimball
      Kimball L. Garrett