Re: [CALBIRDS] CA County Birding maps

  • Don Roberson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
      Of course the "hot spots" in eBird provide information about prime
      birding spots in every county in California (and beyond). Many eBird hot
      spots are carefully sited within google maps and you can focus right
      down to the exact location for many hot spots. Some are more general --
      those for National Wildlife Refuges may just be centered in the middle
      of the reserve -- but California has a very good set of map-detailed
      birding locations within eBird.

      All one must do to access this wealth of material is sign up with your
      user name and select a password. It is free.
      http://ebird.org/content/ebird/

      You can access the hot spots in many ways. I prefer to start with
      "submit observations" and then chose "find it on a map" at a county
      level. You can then focus down to as high a resolution as you like. Once
      you have looked at or printed the map, you can then exit that part of
      eBird without actually entering any data [although, of course, it would
      be great if you went there and entered a checklist, but it is not
      necessary to do so to use this wealth of information]. There are many
      hot spots in every California county, and they continue to be added weekly.

      Don Roberson
    • Mike Stiles
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 8, 2010
        San Luis Obispo county has a birdfinding guide with many Google map links
        for different sections of the county at
        http://morrocoastaudubon.org/publications.php

        Mike Stiles
        Los Osos

      • Jamie Chavez
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
          I maintain a Santa Barbara County birding guide with incorporated Google
          map links:

          http://mysite.verizon.net/res0d1yq/content2.html

          Jamie M. Chavez
          Santa Maria, CA

        • Finatic
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 22, 2010
            Hi Calbirders,

            Thanks to everyone who responded with maps of which they were aware. I've created a PDF and added it in the files section of the group in the California County Online Maps folder. Many counties are missing but I have listed all maps for which I have either found or been told about.

            My original request was due to meeting someone who told me about John Sterling's site and those birders who have tallied 150 birds in each California County. You can visit the site at the following link:
            http://www.sterlingbirds.com/county_birders.htm

            My first goal is to simply get to all 58 counties. Now as I make it to new areas of the state I have easy access to birding maps created by birders!

            I hope everyone out there can make use of these online maps. If I have missed any maps or have credited the wrong person/group for a map's creation please let me know and I fix the file.

            Good birding,
            BJ Stacey
            Santee, CA